Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Aussie Needs Help

Hello guys how are ya, I have a problem with my baby an 85 touring wagon, It has a ea82T in it and the problem I am having is that at 2000 to 2500 rpm it runs really bad, misses and carries on once you get past that it goes great. It also idles fine and the computer is telling me that every thing is fine, could there be something wrong with the air flow meter? Ps I have changed the coil already thinking that that was the problem. thanks for you help..

the RX that we have does the same thing, at around 2500 rpm.

we had swapped an air meter with a wagon, but that did not help

our problem was the throttlel position sensor.

there are 2 screws that hold it into position, we turned the sensor so it thinks the throttle is more open, and it cleared it up for the most part

try to "tune" it if you can and be on the lookout for a known working part

no, i mean off the side of the throttle body. you can get in with a short screwdriver from the side, from under the fuel rail

if you have a gasket you can pull the whole throttle body to replace the TPS, as to have more control with the screwdriver, so you dont strip the screws

Mick, I'm from Oz also. Depending on which EFI setup you've got on your turbo you might not have a TPS. The early EA82T's only used a switch arrangement on the side of the throttle body rather than a TPS that appeared on the later turbos. The switch setup is probably more common in Australia as the later series turbo's were never sold by Subaru here, but of course there are some around that have been imported. If you're running the older EFI system you'll notice that the distributor has a vacuum advance unit on the side of it. If you have this type of distributor then I'd check the timing and make sure you're not running too much advance.

Hmmm, well if the timing is OK I'd check for any vacuum leaks as this will make the motor run lean, although I'd expect you'd have noticed problems at other RPM's also. One problem I had with mine was the diaphram in the vacuum advance broke and this did funny things with the timing, plus created a vacuum leak, although symptoms weren't the same as you're describing. You can check the vacuum advance by disconnecting the vacuum advance pipe and putting another piece of pipe on the fitting then trying to suck air back though it. You shouldn't get any air, if you do the VA unit needs replacing (and good luck finding another one!!) Other than that the only other thing that has made mine cough and splutter at RPM but run fine at idle was condensation under the distributor cap.