Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just bought a 1987 GL Hatch... need some help please

First off this little car is amazing, but it has issues.. It likes to idle at 400 rpm not 4000 but 400. i Dont know what to do about that. The thermostat may be incorrect... is there a way to check this? aAnd finally... where the hell is the ecu located in the engine bay? the only car ive had before this was an 83 gl wagon and the emissions crap was removed. Any help would be awesome.

ECU *should be* inside, under the steering column. (not all that familiar with the hatches, so i could be wrong)

is this a carbed version, or SPFI?? will make a difference on trying to sort out the low idle issue, but that aside, start by checking and replacing any hard or cracked vacuum hoses.

and, yeah - what ^^ he said!! :grin:

Ok - unless it's a CA model it will not have an ECU. It's a carb - plain and simple and gutless. It will be a Hitachi DCP-306-XXX variant (26/30mm primary venturi's). Best replaced with a Weber 32/36 or converted to Fuel Injection using the SPFI system from the '87+ EA82's (and some '86 2WD's).

Sounds like the idle speed may need to be adjusted. There's a screw for this on the Hitachi - it's on the throttle cable side - look and you will find it. It's a long one with a spring under it.

Why do you think the thermostat is incorrect?

GD

When i first brought it home it was running a little hot, but it seems to be just fine now. which worries me :/ and now its idling normal too. just around 750-850 rpm. ( i think it just needed some gas lol ) The reason i was asking about the ECU is because the damn check engine light is always on. I dont know how to figure out what the problem is. i have a thought though. the breaks leak... so its iffy on stopping and the brake fluid light is on ( obviously ) could this be the reason the check Eng. light would be on?

What do you mean by "check engine light" - you mean the "ECS" light? If that's the case then you have a feedback carb and it's located directly under the steering column - bolted to it in fact. They are not simple or easy to work with so I would advise just unplugging it and putting on a Weber or SPFI.

GD