Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 Legacy SUS takes a sedan or outback hitch?

Found a nice 99 SUS to keep for a daily driver. Want a hitch on it.

Tried to put an outback hitch on it....it seems really stinking close but won't quite get into position. the forward vertical holes line up with two holes in the bumper beam, but won't get flush with them.

Is it supposed to sit flush on those holes or are there supposed to be spacers?

It does not appear like it could possibly sit flush.

Does an SUS take a legacy hitch, outback hitch or maybe it's some combination of the two making it wacky?

Edited by grossgary

Isn't the SUS just a jacked up sedan?
maybe, but it's different than my 1996 LSi sedan. doesn't seem like one hitch would fit them both when i look at them.

i have another hitch thread about my LSi that some folks posted too, i'll search for that when i have better internet.

Gary,

Look up fitment online at a reputable hitch place.

I'm guessing the muffler size may actually be the issue. Most Outback hitches allow for a larger muffler it seems. So mounting points are likely to be fine, but having a bend to go around the muffler will likely be your issues (or change the muffler).

muffler doesn't seem to be it - i dropped it out of the way. but who knows i'm not sure how this thing is supposed to go.

compared to a friend 97 Legacy sedan i have now and my 96 LSi it's definitely different - it has the holes that the hitch *seems* to line up with.

there are two holes in the bumper beam on the SUS (that the 97 and 96 Legacy sedans do not have). those two holes line up with two cylinders with holes in them - but pushed up against the car there's a gap and they won't sit flush. and while not positively restrictive getting it tucked up under the rear bumper cover as well is really tight.

pushed flat against the car - it's like the attachment points are there, but don't quite "reach".

maybe the SUS got an outback bumper or it's own i guess since outbacks have indents for the hatch i think?