Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just bought a 1990 Loyal SPFI ea82 push button 4wd

I had an 86 gl...but two hit and runs later it wasnt chugging along quite that well. Just a few questions- I had a nice book for my 86 that outlined a lot of the maintenance and how to stuff- is there a good one for the loyale? Also- it seems to be running pretty well, no problems- any maintenance items I should look into? It has 144k miles on it and the guy I bought it from inherited it from his mother in law who was the original owner. Any quirks or anything I should look for? The only maintenance he had done he said really was the plugs this last year. Theres a nice pic for you

post-31878-136027648897_thumb.jpg

Congrats on the Loyale, looks really good and rust free! I'm jealous. :)

Love those fuel injected EA82 cars.

Stay on top of the timing belts (every 60 thousand miles), and if and when you replace them, I recommend leaving the covers off. Then a job that takes several hours turns into a 30 minute fix. But if you do happen to snap a t-belt, it's not too big a deal, the EA82's are non-interference so no permanent damage. :)

Other than that, the eventual oil leaks coming from old, dry seals and gaskets are the worst offenders.

Regarding a maintenance manual, here's the cover of the Haynes Manual for your Loyale. It's decent and helpful. You can find them all day long on ebay for $10 or so:

285.302.175x224.89003cover.jpg

Good luck, and enjoy your Loyale.