Ultimate Subaru Message Board

More space in GL sedan?

This may be a dumb question... But I thought about it...

How can you get the rear seats in a sedan to fold down?

If they dont fold down as stock seats, is there another model/year that will fit in that can fold down? I miss the fold down seats from my 92 Loyale s/w, but as most people know from talking to me, I have no intention of getting rid of my car... I will take him to the grave :grin:

well there ya go! the GL series did have them!

all you need to do is get your hands on the rear seat set from a GL10, unbolt your old seat, bolt in the GL10 stuff - easy peasy (or it was on the Lego anyway. ;) ) might want to get the trim pieces that go around the opening, too, cover up the exposed metal edges in that area, and possibly the trunk carpet since it will probably attach to the bottom back edge of the seat back like the wagons do.

Sweet, now I gotta find a close enough match to XT seats... I heard that they pretty much bolt in for the front, so if I find nice XT seats and nice GL-10 rear seats, Ill be in business :D

Did XT seats just come in gray? I wouldnt mind going back to the blue interior that Ned once had but all I see is gray, gray and more gray.

Thanks!

XT seats came in Grey and Blue most commonly. I think I saw brown ones ONCE. XT6 seats are the nicest and I THINK are the direct bolt in if you use the seatbelt mounting hole (or something like that) I had XT4 GL seats and they were decent (fixed headrests). The later XT Turbo and XT6 seats have nicer fabric and adjustable (tilt front to rear) headrests.

Your best bet for a back seat is probably an 86 GL-10. and 87+ will be the button type upolstry which looks more caddy than subaru. 85 GL-10's are pretty tough to find (if they even made em??) The fabric will be a pretty close match, just a little softer (more velour like)

For XT6 seats you will likely end up with grey. XT4 seats are about half and half blue and grey. I think about half the EA82's I have owned had blue interiors, the others were brown or grey (never had a black or black/red one)

Tex said that you had to make a bracket for the seat belt bolt, but that the seats (XT6) are pretty much bolted in securely with the 3 bolts that do match up.

Im in no hurry, I like my seats, but someday...

I just wanted to know just in case a decent set came along, or a parts car that the owner was getting rid of parts for..

• 1 year later...

Reviving this old thread? Cant be too bad since its mine right?

Do XT6 rear seats fit in a GL... I got an 88 XT6 parts car I want to put the front seats in Ned, and the rear seats too, since I already have grey seats in a blue interior, I dont wanna mismatch EA82 rears, with XT6 fronts with a blue interior haha.

I've heard of people using 3 bolts, and calling it good enough. Stock XT6 uses 5 bolts, EA82 uses 4.

I wasn't really comfortable with that, I cut the tabs off the GL brackets, and welded them on the XT6 brackets at the correct location. Then I just mounted the EA82 brackets onto the passenger side seat (not really an option with the driver's side as the height adjustment complicates things).

I haven't torn into it myself, but I think my 91 Loyale (sedan) has got the backseat support metal cast/welded into part of the unibody (i.e. even if you swap the seats, the metal framework cannot be removed w/o cutting it out)

My 86 XT had fold down rear seats, but it had the hole cut out, the extra flap, and still had some "structure" around the hole to support the rear of the body.. It doesn't look like that from the trunk. It looks like my 81 Firebird (solid, but some X-bars bracing the wheel wells)...

I knew Subaru had changed some of the panels/body for the Loyale, maybe this was one of them?

I just pulled out my rear seat a couple of days ago (again), and there is a horizontal metal support that runs from one side of the car to the other, right in the middle of the opening into the trunk. It is removable by four 10mm (iircl) bolts, though; not welded. That was an 87 GL.