Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 91 Legacy is over heating. Its not leaking radiator fluid. The Anti-freeze is not in the oil either. But it is going somewhere. The car over heats when you drive and cools when you stop. The over flow also fills full of Anti-freeze. I changed the water pump, thermostat, and timing belt 700 miles ago. It started overheating maybe 100 miles ago. I read that I should change the radiator cap. and will do so tomorrow. Do I have a bad head gasket? Or is it something else i'm over looking?:-\

I had a 91 legacy that blew a head gasket. It would drive maybe 5 minutes from sitting cold over night without a problem, then the temp needle on the dash would spike to HOT in a hurry. When Subarus blow head gaskets, they generally let hot exhaust gas enter the engine cooling system. You won't see oil and antifreeze mixing.

Next time it begins to over heat, check the radiator over flow container. If you see bubbles, then that is a good sign that you have a blown head gasket. The bubbles is actually exhaust gas being pushed out of the cooling system.

Hopefully you have turned off the motor upon seeing that it is beginning to over heat. Otherwise, driving with an over heated motor really causes engine damage.

Suggest you do a "search" on head gaskets on this forum. There is a lot to read. Most has to do with the 2.5 litre motor in 96-99 model Subies. They are prone to blow head gaskets. Your motor is the 2.2 litre motor. It has a reputation of being nearly bullet proof in longevity and reliability. Not many head gasket repairs needed on the 2.2 motor like the one that you have.

One trick that others have done when encountering a Subie motor that wants to over heat, is to loosen the plastic plug at the other end of the top of the radiator. It is at the opposite end from where the radiator cap is located. If exhaust gas is inside the radiator, the loosened plug helps to vent off some of the exhaust. It is not a cure, but it helps to cool the engine a bit.

When my head gasket went bad on my 91, my wife was using the car as her daily driver. I don't know that she ever paid attention to the temp gauge. Her first report of trouble to me, was that the radiator was leaking. So, I replaced the radiator, which come to figure out later, had built up so much heat and pressure, that it burst a seam on the radiator to cause the leak. Only a little later did I figure out I had a HG problem, as overheating continued.

I don't remember repair costs, but you will find that info in your search of the archives.

How many miles on your 91?

How many miles on your 91?

She has 168k on her, 48 of which i put on in the last three or four years. She sat at my friends house for maybe five years, they thought it wasn't drive-able since the brakes grinned, (new pads, 20$) the hood wouldn't latch (just needed a go though and lubed) and the car wouldn't start ( new fuel in the tank and a battery under the hood 60$) I had to do a CV half shaft on her too. All in all about 600 bucks for a 1991 legacy in 2007 with 120 miles on her. It was a deal. I actually sold it to my brother for twenty bucks and am helping him get her fixed before I leave for mexico for two years. It has been the best first car a kid could ask for. :banana:

I will search the forum about the HG, thank you.

Any radiator cap should do.

Cost of a HG change - if you are not doing it yourself - will very likely be approaching the value of the car. $1500+ at the dealer. Independant shops will be closer to $800 to $1000. If you do it yourself it can be done for around $100 in parts if you are reusing the timing components, etc.

GD

If you do it yourself it can be done for around $100 in parts if you are reusing the timing components, etc.

GD

Well I changed the water pump, timing belt, both other belts (power steering, air conditioner?) thermostat, radiator hoses. I just need the seals and gaskets in the motor changed. Is the work hard? or just takes a lot of time? I read that the motor might need pulled? Is that worth the time?

It is best to pull the engine, but it can be done with some difficulty without pulling it. The work itself is not challenging if you work slowly and carefully. Mostly it's cleaning and prepping for new gaskets that takes the most time.

You can rent an engine hoist for very cheap - probably in the $25 per day range. Thus you could rent one on Friday morning, pull the engine, run the heads down to a machine shop to have them resurfaced, and then put it back in again on Saturday. Rental on the hoist will probably be a minor expense in the scheme of things - $50 for a couple days.

Pulling the engine and putting it back in is relatively easy. I can leisurely pull an EJ engine in 1.5 hours. If I'm trying to show off probably 30 to 45 minutes if nothing strange crops up like a stuck lower bell-housing nut..... I don't like to sweat and throw tools around like a mad-mad though so I usually take my time and organize parts/tools as I go to maintain a clean work area, etc. :rolleyes:

GD

Pulling the engine and putting it back in is relatively easy. I can leisurely pull an EJ engine in 1.5 hours. If I'm trying to show off probably 30 to 45 minutes if nothing strange crops up like a stuck lower bell-housing nut..... I don't like to sweat and throw tools around like a mad-mad though so I usually take my time and organize parts/tools as I go to maintain a clean work area, etc. :rolleyes:

GD

Well you should drive on down here to Boise from Portland when you have a few days off and i'll time ya ;)

I think for sure its the hg now. I put a new radiator cap on and heated it up. there are loads of bubbles coming from the overflow container.

I think i could borrow a hoist I have a lot of mechanically inclined friends with tools. My biggest issue is that my younger brother (17) with zero car working experience is the one who would have to do it.( I just sold him the car and I am moving to mexico) I know some people who could help him, but they have full time jobs and family's. I was thinking it might not be so wise for him to give it a go or it will be in pieces all over my parents garage for two years untill i'm back :grin: although he might opt to do it.

If he opts to have it done, or if we do it, what other seals inside the motor should he have done at the same time? ( I searched the forum for a few hours and got distracted/couldn't find the ones needed for the 2.2 litre.) I did find that we need to get Subaru parts from the dealer.