Ultimate Subaru Message Board

any way to lift my brat WITHOUT lift kit?

tallwelder81

Nope - not without making them yourself. None of the stock springs or struts will lift the front. The rear is easy - you just clock the torsion bar down a spline or two - its a "suspension" lift and can be adjusted with the adjuster bolt and how many splines you move the trailing arms... But you better also drop the diff if you don't want to break axles and you will have to go to the Rancho shocks.

The front must be lifted with blocks on the stut towers, or strut tube extensions.... etc.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

I suppose it depends on how many splines you skip. I remember a local guy here a few years ago used that method on his wagon and it was slightly higher than the 3" blocks he had in the front. Perhaps he skipped two splines on the reclock. I only saw the end result - I wasn't present for the actual procedure.

GD

now thats what im looking for!! do those options hurt suspension travel or handling noticeably? i dont mean the higher center of gravity aspect. i mean, you know, camber, axle angles, etc....

Yes... to all!

I suppose it depends on how many splines you skip. I remember a local guy here a few years ago used that method on his wagon and it was slightly higher than the 3" blocks he had in the front. Perhaps he skipped two splines on the reclock. I only saw the end result - I wasn't present for the actual procedure.

GD

My brat is reclocked. Not sure how many we skipped, but it was a few. 4" strut extensions in the front, and the eyeball says the back is a bit more.

Definitely wasn't just 1 spline though.

It's not a small project. Here in the rust belt (this body has over 200k on it, AFAIK all in the midwest), we had a heck of a time getting them out. Also, the rear alignment is definitely not right now.....