Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1984 subaru brat 5speed conversion problems

I got a 5 speed tranny out of a 1986 subaru coupe (xt i think) but i discovered the other day that according to the speedometer 0-45 the speedo needle read 5 miles per hour below. and then 55 on the speedo is 65. and 65 on the speedo is 75 and etc. did i get the wrong trannsmision? or is my speedo broken. thanks

He said he put an XT trans in, did you put a 3.70 trans in where a 3.90 one was?

Excellent catch. However, are not all the non-turbo 4wd transmissions 3.90/1?

I would tend to believe that the speedo gear in the trans could be worn or possibly different which could represent the difference in readings.

And, if the OP states his speedo is that far off then I tend to believe that it is. Just because your speedo doesn't match that doesn't mean his doesn't... :rolleyes:

well i was driving with my friend and his android phone had an app in which he could read how fast he was going and we also timed it between mile posts and according to speedo going 65 it took 47 seconds to go one mile. thats 75 miles per hour.and i had a regular d/r 4speed in it did i get the wrong tranny?

The only way to be accurate is to go to a speedometer shop with a dyno that measures speed.

Now, that being said, you could explain the slower speed by using a 3.70 transaxle. Have you engaged 4wd yet? It should not be 10 mph off by changing to a 5speed as long as the correct final drive ratios were matched.

well got my drive shaft back from six states and installed it a couple of odd occurences happened. got the drive shaft in and bolted it on and tried to drive the car (brat was in 2 wheel drive) and was very resistant and almost wouldn't move. so i put the brat on 4 jack stands and put it in 4 wheel drive lo let out the clutch a little resistant and then it just started working. so i took it off the stands and drove just fine. any one have a similar experience.