Ultimate Subaru Message Board

well yes but in order to effectively apply the solvent the engine needs to crank but not start...this draws the fluid in and applies it to the valves, pistons, rings etc. without combustion...

Then I wait ten minutes, put the fuse back in and start the engine....

--Damien

I gotcha. I usually just pour it on in while it's running. Never really thought about letting it sit, good idea, will have to try that next time...

Sorry, I don't really know where the fuse is for the ignition, so I can't help you on that front. I have a 1990 legacy, so I am sure things are a little bit different between our cars.

Good luck!

I always let it suck the seafoam in while it's running. You keep the idle up and let it suck it in as fast as it can without bogging, then let the throttle go while it's still sucking it in and it stalls. Let it sit for 15 mins, and fire it back up. Either use the PCV hose coming right off the valve or one of the ported vacuum hoses on the throttle body.

There's not much airflow when it's cranking over with just the starter. I'd be concerned about the seafoam puddling in the intake manifold rather than getting onto the valves and cylinders like it should.

I used a pretty copious amount in the tank and after about 1000 miles of driving the backfire/sputter is almost gone.

One thing that also happened was one of the thin EGR hoses popped off the solenoid? I think it was. There was a lot of black carbon dust that spewed over the engine. I cleaned the EGR valve assy with a pipe cleaner and now the engine is running better than ever.

Seafoam is a product that really seems to work....:-)

I would also re-recommend Shell gas as the difference is horsepower and pickup is really very noticable.

Other brands use more ethanol/methanol and sometimes even mix in a little water.

I've been using 'Startron' which bills itself as an 'enzyme' cleaner. When using cheap gas I noticed a slight increase in pickup/hp. Another thing I noticed was in the exhaust...it was 'puffier' (if you will) and no dripping water out of the tailpipe. (see attachment)

--Damien

post-29892-136027649221_thumb.jpg