Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi, im Ali, and i have an 06 impreza. im not sure if this is the right category to post in, if it isnt please move it. but my husband is replacing the clutch on my car saturday, and throwing in a short throw for fun :). im hoping we dont have to replace the flywheel. its been a good while since my husband has replaced a clutch, can you guys give us any tips, or things to remember, especially if theres anything special with a subi tranny. itd be nice if this could go as smooth as possible.

nah, it's pretty easy. i mean it's a total pain pulling engines or transmissions, but there's not much special about it.

reseal the rear separator plate, particularly if it's wet/seeping at all.

have the flywheel resurfaced. a competent machine shop will mic it, make sure it's in spec and resurface it for you for only $50 or something (rates vary).

replace EVERYTHING. throw out bearing, pilot bearing, both retaining clips. those are all a few dollars and should not be left in there. most good clutch kits come with those parts, but if they don't go get them.

should be a hydraulic clutch. they are notoriously difficult to bleed, i haven't personally come up with a repeatable method of getting them properly bled every single time.

so - be very careful and don't break open the hydraulic lines.

or, it would be good to bleed them and get new fluid in there as degraded fluid can probably cause premature wear of the slave cylinder and hoses. good time to do it while you got a new clutch going in.

if you decide to flush the fluid - do it right away, first. that way you can let it sit awhile, while doing the trans pull/clutch job, and let air bubbles (if any) surface to the top.

thanks! good thing, i thought it was a cable clutch.

i called the guy at the dealership and he said subaru advises against getting the flywheel resurfaced cause i was gonna do that initially. he told me subaru just said to check it for heat cracks, if its good, clean it and put it back on. hopefully it will go that smoothly cause that $250 i can save.

thanks! good thing, i thought it was a cable clutch.

i called the guy at the dealership and he said subaru advises against getting the flywheel resurfaced cause i was gonna do that initially. he told me subaru just said to check it for heat cracks, if its good, clean it and put it back on. hopefully it will go that smoothly cause that $250 i can save.

Is that $250 for re-surfacing the flywheel? Last time I had that done (I think it was the EJ22) it cost me $30 at the local machine shop (about 6 years ago).

You're in Sandy. Is that Sandy, OR?