Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Single Range to Dual Range?

You will need a custom single peice driveline made as the overall length of the 5MT is shorter. This will run about $150 to $300 depending on the shop you go to and if you also need u-joints, new inner yoke's, etc.

You will need a clutch consisting of the EA81 225mm flywheel resurfaced to .815" step, And a complete EA82 5MT clutch kit.

Then you will need a custom transmission cross-member or buy a kit from Jerry (Bratsrus1 here on the board). He does kits for $100 plus shipping that includes modifying your cross-member and your linkage to bolt up to the EA81 body.

Other than that - pretty much bolts in, yeah. :)

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Well - the 4 speed's are problematic - they have terrible ratio's, a higher low range, crappy linkage, and a tendancy to eat 3rd gear's syncro, etc. The 5MT by comparison is a wonderful transmission and has none of these flaws. Thus it's a popular conversion. It's easier on a non-hatch because you can use the two-peice driveline from the EA82..... sadly the hatch has a shorter wheelbase and they never made a driveline that would fit. So custom is the only way.

I know the specs because I've done quite a few of that particular swap and lots of more complicated swaps that would blow your mind! :)

GD

I appreciate it GD, gosh you really know your stuff. Ya, the 4 speed seems like junk...its got 202k and 4th is gone and 3rd grinds. What about the shifter can I just use the same one...its the pull up type. I need to rebuild the motor know of any good quality rebuild kits for the ea81 for a decent price? It seems no one in town carries one I have been looking online but it seems the kits are far and few between.