Ultimate Subaru Message Board

engine swap

chad barker

so we got the flywheel done- and removing material off of the clutch contact area down to the .815 mark makes it the same as an ea81 flywheel depth.So now ive went to the pick-a-part and raided a few cars for hoses, belts and the idler pulley i needed and an almost NEW raidiator. I am going to not try to use the ea82 cooling fan as it is pulley driven and will replace it with another electric unit. this has really been a pretty easy swap so far. I am hoping that the new ea81 engine with air cond. fits and i dont have to move the battery to the opposite side of the car! I have had a hard time finding exaust gaskets but finally have some that will work and am going to adjust valves before installing the engine in the car, then its drop-it-in-time. Im still making notes for the other thread as i learn them for the little important details.the machinist had somewhat of a hard time removing the clutch plate alignment pins in order to mill on it, then he properly replaced them just fine. I just started a new job so my progress is much slower than i would like as i want this project buttoned up before the weathewr turns bad very soon...

• 1 year later...