Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

possible clutch adjustments?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 efseiler

efseiler

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • Passumpsic, Vermont

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:49 AM

Hi,
I have a newer Subaru with one of the clutches that is controlled by means of an hydraulic system.

I was wondering how adjustments are made to modify its operation...the clutch seems to engage too quickly causing quite a shudder when I downshift sometimes....

I'm thinking the engine may be to blame as well....it's a 2.2L that was swapped in...maybe the engine was not mounted properly...

Whaddya think?

Thanks,
Damien

#2 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:05 PM

There are no adjustments. You can bleed the slave cylinder, or replace it. Many of the later 90's early hydraulic slave cylinders are covered under a TSB that indicates they were manufactured with weak springs. A new slave cylinder is about $30 to $40.

The shuddering could be partially related to a bad slave cylinder or it could be that your flywheel needs to be surfaced. It wouldn't be the first time I have seen a shuddering EJ clutch due to replacement without properly surface grinding the flywheel. It could also be a dry/worn transmission quill or fork pivot ball - those get dry of grease and their action becomes very sticky - resulting in shuddering or other poor clutch behavior. If the engine swap was done a long time ago or they didn't inspect and repair the clutch components as neccesary it might be a good idea to pull the engine out and check/adjust everything. People that let that kind of behavior continue too long are often rewarded with slave cylinder failure, or clutch fork breakage.

GD

#3 1-3-2-4

1-3-2-4

Subaru Mike!

• Members
  • 3,701 posts
  • Greenwich

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:18 PM

^ what he said..

I had someone replace the clutch without a resurface.. I'm looking at getting a new clutch kit before the flywheel gets screwed up.

#4 efseiler

efseiler

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • Passumpsic, Vermont

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:19 PM

well likely the flywheel needs to be resurfaced...I guess that's going to be done...er...'on the fly' :-D

I'm guessing the more I drive it...the mutual grinding action would better mate the surfaces.

At least it's got shocks and struts that are in excellent condition...and the body is nice, too.

It would be a miracle if I could get my dealer to do all that 'for free' even tho it may covered under warantee.

--Damien

#5 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:14 PM

What warrantee? How is anything "under warrantee" when it's got a swapped EJ22 in it ?!?!

How many miles are on it? And how many of them are city miles?

As I said - it may not only be the flywheel - the quill's get worn and do the same thing.

GD

#6 efseiler

efseiler

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • Passumpsic, Vermont

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:57 AM

Well I bought the car from a UCD...it's got a 3000mi 90 day warantee.

It's got 127k miles on it. I don't know how many city miles...it came from West Texas so I would kinda guess it's got lots of highway miles on it. Paperwork says it was bought in Upstate NY, tho.

--Damien

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users