Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi,

I have a newer Subaru with one of the clutches that is controlled by means of an hydraulic system.

I was wondering how adjustments are made to modify its operation...the clutch seems to engage too quickly causing quite a shudder when I downshift sometimes....

I'm thinking the engine may be to blame as well....it's a 2.2L that was swapped in...maybe the engine was not mounted properly...

Whaddya think?

Thanks,

Damien

There are no adjustments. You can bleed the slave cylinder, or replace it. Many of the later 90's early hydraulic slave cylinders are covered under a TSB that indicates they were manufactured with weak springs. A new slave cylinder is about $30 to $40.

The shuddering could be partially related to a bad slave cylinder or it could be that your flywheel needs to be surfaced. It wouldn't be the first time I have seen a shuddering EJ clutch due to replacement without properly surface grinding the flywheel. It could also be a dry/worn transmission quill or fork pivot ball - those get dry of grease and their action becomes very sticky - resulting in shuddering or other poor clutch behavior. If the engine swap was done a long time ago or they didn't inspect and repair the clutch components as neccesary it might be a good idea to pull the engine out and check/adjust everything. People that let that kind of behavior continue too long are often rewarded with slave cylinder failure, or clutch fork breakage.

GD

well likely the flywheel needs to be resurfaced...I guess that's going to be done...er...'on the fly' :-D

I'm guessing the more I drive it...the mutual grinding action would better mate the surfaces.

At least it's got shocks and struts that are in excellent condition...and the body is nice, too.

It would be a miracle if I could get my dealer to do all that 'for free' even tho it may covered under warantee.

--Damien

Well I bought the car from a UCD...it's got a 3000mi 90 day warantee.

It's got 127k miles on it. I don't know how many city miles...it came from West Texas so I would kinda guess it's got lots of highway miles on it. Paperwork says it was bought in Upstate NY, tho.

--Damien