Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Help me hack my ignition switch.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 fattie

fattie

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • maine

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:40 PM

it sticks and its really annoying. any tips or tricks to get it working a little better till a replacement can be found ? screw driver ? lube ? BFH ? thanks

oh yea , 86 brat.

#2 92_rugby_subie

92_rugby_subie

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,990 posts
  • Hillsboro OR

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:18 PM

I might have an ignition switch...

#3 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:18 PM

It sounds like the ignition *lock* has a problem, not the *switch*.

Remove the lock, take it to a locksmith, and have it rebuilt and new keys made. (in the meantime - turn the switch with a screwdriver)

Replace the switch with an OEM one from the dealer when you get the lock back - about $25.

GD

#4 92_rugby_subie

92_rugby_subie

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,990 posts
  • Hillsboro OR

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:21 PM

What part number do you need?

#5 fattie

fattie

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • maine

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:14 PM

It sounds like the ignition *lock* has a problem, not the *switch*.

Remove the lock, take it to a locksmith, and have it rebuilt and new keys made. (in the meantime - turn the switch with a screwdriver)

Replace the switch with an OEM one from the dealer when you get the lock back - about $25.

GD

i meant lock , i just call it a switch. im not quite sure how to take it apart. are there any how-to's on here ? i tried searching but it kept saying no results.

#6 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:28 PM

Pull the column covers and it should be obvious.

GD

#7 81EA81

81EA81

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 382 posts
  • Spokane,WA

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:43 PM

Maby try a little WD40, It dose more then you think. I just did this a few weeks ago.

#8 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:15 PM

You don't want to use WD-40 - it will evaporate. You need to use graphite. They make it in powdered form as well as a liqufied style that flows easily.

GD

#9 edrach

edrach

RIP 6/28/14

• Members
  • 12,326 posts
  • Bothell, WA

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:31 PM

You don't want to use WD-40 - it will evaporate. You need to use graphite. They make it in powdered form as well as a liqufied style that flows easily.

GD

Our locksmith swears by tri-flow.

#10 Redcap

Redcap

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • Lewis County, WA

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:54 PM

Our locksmith swears by tri-flow.

Tri Flo is awesome stuff.

#11 man on the moon

man on the moon

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 609 posts
  • Denver

Posted 04 August 2011 - 12:42 AM

You could always take the locking mechanism out and wire a finger operated switch somewhere...

#12 92_rugby_subie

92_rugby_subie

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,990 posts
  • Hillsboro OR

Posted 04 August 2011 - 01:16 AM

O.o like a push button start? I have wanted to do this with my car for quite some time :) I think itd be awesome!

#13 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 04 August 2011 - 12:21 PM

You still need a key switch or several toggle switches to turn on and off the accesory and ignition power circuits - besides just the push-button for the starter. And you *should* install a relay to run the starter as well as relays for the accesory and ignition circuits if you are going to do that. Replacing the key switch with a push-button and seperate power circuit switches is not something I would reccomened unless you are well versed in electrical work. That's not a small or particularly simple task.

GD

#14 el_freddo

el_freddo

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • Lancefield, Vic, Aust.

Posted 04 August 2011 - 12:46 PM

You still need a key switch or several toggle switches to turn on and off the accesory and ignition power circuits - besides just the push-button for the starter. And you *should* install a relay to run the starter as well as relays for the accesory and ignition circuits if you are going to do that. Replacing the key switch with a push-button and seperate power circuit switches is not something I would reccomened unless you are well versed in electrical work. That's not a small or particularly simple task.

^ Plus on top of what GD has said you also need to work out a way to safely disengage the steering lock - you don't want that to engage halfway around a corner!!

Cheers

Bennie

#15 92_rugby_subie

92_rugby_subie

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,990 posts
  • Hillsboro OR

Posted 04 August 2011 - 01:23 PM

O.O

Wont be doing that anytime soon... :lol:

I think Ill stick to eventually (after FM swap) having electric start/keyless entry

#16 fattie

fattie

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • maine

Posted 04 August 2011 - 03:28 PM

well all i had on hand was " lock de-icer with lube" in the little aerosol can. seems to work alot better till i can get it really fixed. ill look for the spray graphite. thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users