Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Projector lenses into GL/Loyale buckets

Turbone

We all know that the GL/Loyale lights are not the brightest setup around.

When I did my EJ swap I got about a 20% increase improvement from the updated charging system, but I wanted more. For about 5-6mo I contemplated and researched, looking at all the styles in current OEM systems. I was hoping I could make a factory system work, but nothing matched the GL bucket (go figure).

Then as my luck would have it, Mr Brat had a set of projectors he got off Ebay and decided to go a different route. I purchased the set from him and the real work began.

HID1.jpg

HID2.jpg

No, these are not 7 colors and are 6K bulbs.

I first had to find out how the projectors would fit in the buckets, so I had to separate the lens from the bucket. I did this the same way the new gen guys do their plastic headlights, put it in the oven......300deg for 25min.

It worked ok. The sealant, being over 20yrs old, is a pita to pull apart.

I cracked on lens trying to separate it, mostly because I didnt heat it long/hot enough. Then you need to clean off all the old stuff, another pita.

The projectors fit perfect. My main concern was that they might be to long and I would have zero clearance with the glass.

Projectors.jpg

In order for projectors to work, you need a clear surface. The ridges on the inside of the OEM lenses are designed for 9004 halogen bulbs and to refract the light coming out, so it had to be ground smooth. I was planing on making a completely different lens at first, removing the glass and replacing it with plexi. I experimented with heating and forming, but it was hit and miss without the proper equipment.

My other option was to grind and polish the glass lens. I did a bunch of internet research on it and decided to give it a try. I had some glass polishing pads and polish I got from Griot's Garage and 3-4 different grits of 3M sanding disc. I used my cordless drill for starters. I made a circle that was somewhat bigger than the projector and got to work.

It was very slow going as I didnt want to overheat the glass and crack it.

I did start with a old headlight, I didnt want to ruin what I had on my car as they are the best I've found to date. I used a squirt bottle of water to keep things cool and went from the glass polish to eventually using rubbing compound. This got the heavy scratches and glaze off, then I had to use finer compounds like Mequires.

When I thought I had it clear enough I assembled it all and put it on the car for a test run. As you can see, theres quite a difference.

Roughmockup.jpg

lenses2.jpg

So now that I knew it would work, I had to make things faster/easier.

As it was, I was spending hours grinding and polishing. I'm serious......polishing these lenses - without screwing them up - takes a long time, I have at least 8-10hrs of work in each lens.

If it wasnt for the drill press it would have taken forever and I probably would have given up.

I had a old Craftsman drill press (that I've used once and its been on my patio for over 10yrs), so I drug that out and set it up. This cut at least a day or two off the job.

The process at work.

Polishinglens.jpg

Besides the time involved with the glass, it was a pretty simple job.

Wiring is standard HID stuff, but I decided not to have the halo (blue) on with the running lights. I will wire it separate and use a switch - for show purposes (maybe).

Now that the projectors are done, heres were I make things over the top :D

These arent the projectors, obviously.

Lightson.jpg

Hmmm, what do we have here?

LEDstring.jpg

LEDsinbucket.jpg

LED strands. Very simple and easy to install......anywhere.

LEDlights2-1.jpg

If you look at one of the pics above, you will see that I removed the turn signals in the bumper and replaced them with driving lights (can never have enough light for my old eyeballs). So I had to relocate the turn signals up the corner lights.

I had extra LED's (when buying, you need more than what it takes. A strand can be cut every 3rd LED). So it wasnt really that hard to make them work as signals.

th_VIDEO0046.jpg

Did you drive with them at night enough to report back how they are doing? Would like some feedback of the useage.

Sure, I got a crappy cell phone pic so far.

So far, its 100% better than any EA82 OEM lighting.

Actually better than most new gen stuff too.

Projectors-1.jpg

The RX isnt my daily and I dont get out with it much at night right now.

Just going to have to wait till I get some pics. I would do it at home, but by the time its dark here its past 10pm. And I've already had my ******y neighbor yell at me for running my car while adjusting them, and that was only 9:30pm (yes, I know the law, its 10pm).

You did an excelent job with these! I've seen them in person and I must say they look very good.

Now you need to streamline the process so you can make them and sell them. :)

GD

If I do they will cost $$$$.

Buyer will have to provide lights and projectors too.

I already had visions (not good ones either) of glass lenses stacked on shelves. Either ready for work or broken :rolleyes:

Whats this no running a vehicle past 10pm law!?

No construction or loud noises after 10pm. Most counties have noise ordinances.

It really doesnt effect vehicles, but mine is louder than most newer cars.

80dB at 50ft is the max (In WA) and mines not that loud.

I dont want to rustle this womans feathers, she's threatened to call the county on me before for my "collection".

But I'm cool with the HOA and the bylaws, you cant see anything from the street. Cant wait to move out of this place and to somewhere I can build a shop, with neighbors that are more than a few hundred feet away.

Any more questions about this, please PM me.

I want to keep the thread uncluttered.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...