Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Projector lenses into GL/Loyale buckets

Turbone

The only thing I could find on the paper work was hidlighting.com.

The ones in your link look pretty nice, but personally, I wouldnt spend that much money on a kit. The main factor you need to look for in fitting is the length of the projector. It has to be the right length to fit inside and not hit the glass. Easiest way to measure is take a light assembly, remove the bulb and stick a tape measure in thru the hole. Measure from the glass to the inside of the base. This will give you the length of the lens needed.

Most of the manufacturers give dimensions of the projectors.

just as a little tidbit for those looking for projectors,

http://www.theretrofitsource.com

they have several types, sizes and whatnot. some requiring more modification than what turbone has.

i have a set of projectors that i was going to put on my prelude build, but i think id rather have them on my daily, seeing as my prelude doesnt even see wet roads or temps below 40.

what did you use for the initial surface smoothing? and is it possible to lay a flat piece of glass over the headlight instead of the original lens? i might be able to get one jet cut if the projector clears. if i can have the glass closer to the bulb, the heat will melt snow easier hopefully.

Edited by maozebong

The OEM lens sits out from the base about 1.5in, so if you use flat glass you will need to find a shorter projector.

The initial grinding started with 60grit discs and I worked my way up.

Used lots of water also to keep it cool, if you dont the glass will crack from the heat.

My kit came with sealant, hopefully yours does also.

The buckets are installed, little hard to get a pic now.

I'm working on another set and I might be able to get a pic, but theres nothing special about it. I hope you have 2 sets, so you can be working on one while you drive the car.

• 2 weeks later...
Lookin good, I'm seriously considering going this route. Where'd you get your kit?

Lightwerkz. They are more on the exspensive side but it's a complete kit and they are really nice. They didn't really give me instructions but I figured it out. And you have to change the wires in the 9007 harness and splice 2 wires for the solenoid (hi/low) controller in the projector unit. And besides that it was easy. I used a belt sander and switched grit. Then just did like 30 min of fine fine sanding (from the polishing kit I got) and then used jb weld to seal the headlights back together. I am super pleased with the result just have to aim and fix minuscule issues. But thanks to Turbone for the first trial and idea! I also used the 6000k bulbs. I can take pics from inside to show how bright it is.

Wowza, $120 and up. Did you get that Morimoto H1 kit, or did you go with one of the D2S ones?

The other direction I'm leaning is to ditch the stock GL enclosures, steal 7x6 headlight housings off of something like these, and get one of the 7x6 kits like this one.

Less fabrication involved, and easier to replace down the road if I get a rock through the lens. It'd leave funny gaps around the lights, but my car is already pretty Frankensteined.

If only I could find a DL to steal the quad headlight housings from. If someone on the forum could find a junkyard with a bunch of DLs, they could make some money selling the housings.

Wowza, $120 and up. Did you get that Morimoto H1 kit, or did you go with one of the D2S ones?

The other direction I'm leaning is to ditch the stock GL enclosures, steal 7x6 headlight housings off of something like these, and get one of the 7x6 kits like this one.

Less fabrication involved, and easier to replace down the road if I get a rock through the lens. It'd leave funny gaps around the lights, but my car is already pretty Frankensteined.

If only I could find a DL to steal the quad headlight housings from. If someone on the forum could find a junkyard with a bunch of DLs, they could make some money selling the housings.

I got the Morimoto H1 kit (with balists, lights, projectors, and harness) the problem with some of those other kits are that they don't have the right harness you would need (since the 9007 and 9004 use the same shape socket part). There is plenty of room infront of the lense to the factory glass( which is really good).

I also think there is a dl in the junk yard near me... a97b7f4c.jpg here's a pic are you talking about those rectangular ones?

Yup. As far as I know, those housings will bolt up to a GL easily. Then I can just get a pair of hi-low 4x6in HID conversion kits for normal driving, and a pair of halogens set up as fog or driving lights. Or better yet, quad HIDs with two of them aimed outward.

Would be worth looking into, if you wouldn't mind seeing how much the JY would want for them. Might also double check if the way they mount up to the DL looks the same as a GL.

There are 5 or 6 junkyards in my town, and for some idiotic reason they aren't open weekends at all. A few used to be open at least Saturday mornings, but they did away with that. What are people supposed to do, take time off work and lose money just to go to the junkyard and safe a few bucks? It wouldn't be so bad if more of the places did proper inventorying and could tell me exactly what cars they have and what parts are left. But noo, I have to hurry out there after work and run around looking for myself.

</rant> :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
I'm wondering if turning the running lights into blinkers actually works good, like in day... I want to put fog lights down where my blinkers are now but I just don't want the new blinkers to not work well. Do they work fine for you?

Thats my idea. To put fog lights in an 87+ bumper where the turn signals are... I wanna put fogs that turn on (with the angel eyes) as my running lights... and have my corner markers the turn signals... I want to paint the corners yellow like OBK25XT did on his Loyale so I may have to use LED style bulbs to be bright enough... I did a test with the stock lights and you CAN see them, but its not great.

Would be worth looking into, if you wouldn't mind seeing how much the JY would want for them. Might also double check if the way they mount up to the DL looks the same as a GL.

There are 5 or 6 junkyards in my town, and for some idiotic reason they aren't open weekends at all. A few used to be open at least Saturday mornings, but they did away with that. What are people supposed to do, take time off work and lose money just to go to the junkyard and safe a few bucks? It wouldn't be so bad if more of the places did proper inventorying and could tell me exactly what cars they have and what parts are left. But noo, I have to hurry out there after work and run around looking for myself.

</rant> :rolleyes:

You will have to do a lot of investigating on size/length of the projectors for the DL buckets. There isnt that much room in them, not as much as the standard GL buckets. I dont know if they are all glass or metal backed, but if they are metal they can be drilled out to accept a longer unit.

I'm wondering if turning the running lights into blinkers actually works good, like in day... I want to put fog lights down where my blinkers are now but I just don't want the new blinkers to not work well. Do they work fine for you?

I did this with mine. I have LED blinkers in the corner lights and have driving lights where the blinkers where in the bumper.