Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ251 Swap - Alternator Question...

xbeerd

it seems like my alternator is getting abnormally hot.

i have it wired correctly as far as i can tell. the 2 white wires coming off the EJ alternator are spliced to the single wire from the EA alternator and then goes thru the fusible link. the connector on the EJ alternator is wired to the EA connector properly as far as i can tell.. (the one wire illuminates the charge light on the dash when acc on.)

ideas? could it just be that all the engine grounds and such just arent connected yet? i know i dont have them all on yet.

When my alt gets hot it usually because it's being over worked, especially with my stereo and all :rolleyes: So if you don't have it wired up correctly, then it could be charging at full bore causing the battery to get all bloated, and the alt would get hot. In the previous link I posted that battery was bloating, so that tells me the alt was getting hot as well. So make sure you have the EJ alt wired up properly...

Checking and attaching the last grounds would help as well. The power needs to connect to a ground to flow somewhere, and if there is not enough grounds resistance is created, making the alt work harder. So checking/finishing up the grounds is a good idea as well.

i put my meter on it, with the engine running and ACC off, i get 12.2v (and drops as time goes on, while engine revs it MIGHT jump up .01v or so.

engine running and ACC on. i get 14.2v on the meter.

that link talked about a 3 wire alternator. however. this alternator only has 2 wires, its got a connector that COULD have 3 wires, but the alternator and connector only utilize 2 wires (no 3rd wire, or 3rd pin on alternator present)

its definately not getting overworked as far as i can tell. i dont have a stereo system like you got. actually i have nothing running other than the usual stuff. minus the radio because i didnt put it back in yet.

maybe the bearings are just shot? if you had it wired completely wrong it seems there would be issues. are the connections good and solid?

measure the output?

alternater should be good, motor came from a working car that got Tboned last winter