Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru still burning coolant after head gaskets

I'll give it a shot this weekend, it's about the only thing I haven't tried so it couldn't hurt. What is it that everyone retorques to, +10ft/lbs?

Maybe take a shot at 60Nm (42ft/lbs) first. I'm willing to bet a beer you will get 1/2 a turn on them now that youv'e run the engine in.

Foot pounds???? Bloody imperial stystem! You guys had the golden chance to give that crap back to the limey's on the 4th July! What happened?

Well, I'm currently retorqing the heads down, and on the first bolt I was able to get a little more before it was back in spec. I'm going to add +10ft/lbs to each bolt just to be safe. I'm currently in town picking up some special extensions so I can do this without pulling the cam housings, but once I get it all back together I'll test it out and let you all know if it solves the problem. Hopefully it does!

Knock on wood, the problem seems to be fixed! Took it on a few test drives yesterday and it didn't smoke the whole time. I'll be driving it around more today and periodicly checking the coolant just to be sure.

Lesson learned: Even if you spend the extra money for the non-retorque headgaskets, retorque them anyway!

Knock on wood, the problem seems to be fixed! Took it on a few test drives yesterday and it didn't smoke the whole time. I'll be driving it around more today and periodicly checking the coolant just to be sure.

Lesson learned: Even if you spend the extra money for the non-retorque headgaskets, retorque them anyway!

...any idea to what your final torque setting was..

Not sure, I'll try and remember to check when I pick the car up this weekend. If I had to guess, probably 20-30 miles.

I'm also getting a slight stumble when I hit about 2000 rpm. It'll clear up when I rev it up but I'm wondering if I ruined the plugs burning all that coolant.

Not sure, I'll try and remember to check when I pick the car up this weekend. If I had to guess, probably 20-30 miles.

I'm also getting a slight stumble when I hit about 2000 rpm. It'll clear up when I rev it up but I'm wondering if I ruined the plugs burning all that coolant.

..spark plugs..could be since they usually become carboned up in your situation...or.. maybe still coolant leaking..just a very small amount..

• 3 weeks later...
Well, it was doing great for about 2 weeks until I started it up about an hour ago and it started smoking again! Not bad, but the coolant levels dropped again. ************ing dammit, this is not what I needed right now.
..I am not surprised..never the less, sorry that it has not worked out for you

I have an E-82 85 GL wagon up here in Alaska, burns coolant now-then, doesn't stumble though, been driving it for a long time. Thought about dropping off @ AA on the old Seward, or the Subaru wrench in Eagle River but why just run it-There's a ton of E-82's running up/down the Parks-Glenn Hwy's that need more attention than a puff of smoke HaHa up here.

• 4 weeks later...
anyone figure out what was wrong with it? I have a similar problem and Im looking for answers

Thanks

No I don't have the time to figure it out. In fact, it's (sadly) up for sale right now, along with all my ej22, awd, 5 speed, 5 lug, and disc brake parts. I really wanted to build this car but with winter coming and a new job, I'm not going to get around to it I think.