Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Subaru still burning coolant after head gaskets

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#26 NickR23

NickR23

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Willow, Alaska

Posted 15 August 2011 - 03:26 PM

Skim read this so sorry if you already have but..

Have you re-torqued the heads?

No, but I used the Fel Pro gaskets that are supposed to not require a retorque.

#27 Suba_GL_87

Suba_GL_87

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 376 posts
  • Central Oregon, Oregonian

Posted 15 August 2011 - 03:48 PM

tell me how much ft lb on your step 9 bolts torque?
did you perfectly for ft lb?

#28 Dirk

Dirk

Lazy Perfectionist

• Members
  • 489 posts
  • Wanaka New Zealand

Posted 15 August 2011 - 05:30 PM

Wouldn't hurt to give them a tweak.

#29 NickR23

NickR23

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Willow, Alaska

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:59 PM

Wouldn't hurt to give them a tweak.

I'll give it a shot this weekend, it's about the only thing I haven't tried so it couldn't hurt. What is it that everyone retorques to, +10ft/lbs?

#30 Suba_GL_87

Suba_GL_87

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 376 posts
  • Central Oregon, Oregonian

Posted 16 August 2011 - 03:21 AM

thats trouble.

#31 Dirk

Dirk

Lazy Perfectionist

• Members
  • 489 posts
  • Wanaka New Zealand

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:24 AM

I'll give it a shot this weekend, it's about the only thing I haven't tried so it couldn't hurt. What is it that everyone retorques to, +10ft/lbs?

Maybe take a shot at 60Nm (42ft/lbs) first. I'm willing to bet a beer you will get 1/2 a turn on them now that youv'e run the engine in.

Foot pounds???? Bloody imperial stystem! You guys had the golden chance to give that crap back to the limey's on the 4th July! What happened?

#32 NickR23

NickR23

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Willow, Alaska

Posted 20 August 2011 - 03:42 PM

Well, I'm currently retorqing the heads down, and on the first bolt I was able to get a little more before it was back in spec. I'm going to add +10ft/lbs to each bolt just to be safe. I'm currently in town picking up some special extensions so I can do this without pulling the cam housings, but once I get it all back together I'll test it out and let you all know if it solves the problem. Hopefully it does!

#33 Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Willow, Alaska

Posted 21 August 2011 - 02:49 PM

Knock on wood, the problem seems to be fixed! Took it on a few test drives yesterday and it didn't smoke the whole time. I'll be driving it around more today and periodicly checking the coolant just to be sure.

Lesson learned: Even if you spend the extra money for the non-retorque headgaskets, retorque them anyway!

#34 Petersubaru

Petersubaru

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  • Sarnia Canada

Posted 21 August 2011 - 02:52 PM

Knock on wood, the problem seems to be fixed! Took it on a few test drives yesterday and it didn't smoke the whole time. I'll be driving it around more today and periodicly checking the coolant just to be sure.

Lesson learned: Even if you spend the extra money for the non-retorque headgaskets, retorque them anyway!

...any idea to what your final torque setting was..

#35 Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Willow, Alaska

Posted 21 August 2011 - 03:47 PM

...any idea to what your final torque setting was..

The manual recommended 47ft/lbs for the 3rd step, I retorqed all the bolts to 57ft/lbs.

#36 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,802 posts
  • WV

Posted 22 August 2011 - 12:22 AM

wow, that's amazing.

how many miles did you put on it until you retorqued it?

#37 Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Willow, Alaska

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:40 PM

Not sure, I'll try and remember to check when I pick the car up this weekend. If I had to guess, probably 20-30 miles.

I'm also getting a slight stumble when I hit about 2000 rpm. It'll clear up when I rev it up but I'm wondering if I ruined the plugs burning all that coolant.

#38 Petersubaru

Petersubaru

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  • Sarnia Canada

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:49 PM

Not sure, I'll try and remember to check when I pick the car up this weekend. If I had to guess, probably 20-30 miles.

I'm also getting a slight stumble when I hit about 2000 rpm. It'll clear up when I rev it up but I'm wondering if I ruined the plugs burning all that coolant.

..spark plugs..could be since they usually become carboned up in your situation...or.. maybe still coolant leaking..just a very small amount..

#39 Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Willow, Alaska

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:39 PM

Well, it was doing great for about 2 weeks until I started it up about an hour ago and it started smoking again! Not bad, but the coolant levels dropped again. ************ing dammit, this is not what I needed right now.

#40 Petersubaru

Petersubaru

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  • Sarnia Canada

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:46 PM

Well, it was doing great for about 2 weeks until I started it up about an hour ago and it started smoking again! Not bad, but the coolant levels dropped again. ************ing dammit, this is not what I needed right now.

..I am not surprised..never the less, sorry that it has not worked out for you

#41 6 Star

6 Star

Boxer Nostalgic

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • South Seattle, WA

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:07 AM

The manual recommended 47ft/lbs for the 3rd step, I retorqed all the bolts to 57ft/lbs.

:eek: You are lucky you didn't strip out the block.

#42 HMK110

HMK110

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • CHUGIAK

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:31 AM

I have an E-82 85 GL wagon up here in Alaska, burns coolant now-then, doesn't stumble though, been driving it for a long time. Thought about dropping off @ AA on the old Seward, or the Subaru wrench in Eagle River but why just run it-There's a ton of E-82's running up/down the Parks-Glenn Hwy's that need more attention than a puff of smoke HaHa up here.

#43 86scooby

86scooby

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Colville

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:13 PM

anyone figure out what was wrong with it? I have a similar problem and Im looking for answers
Thanks

#44 Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Willow, Alaska

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:25 PM

anyone figure out what was wrong with it? I have a similar problem and Im looking for answers
Thanks

No I don't have the time to figure it out. In fact, it's (sadly) up for sale right now, along with all my ej22, awd, 5 speed, 5 lug, and disc brake parts. I really wanted to build this car but with winter coming and a new job, I'm not going to get around to it I think.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users