Ultimate Subaru Message Board

General Carburetor question

I have a '87 Mighty max - Nothing special.. 2.0, 3sp Auto, RWD, Zero gonads. It needs a bit of work but for the most part its a pretty neat truck.

My problem is that I'm getting around 19MPG out of the thing. Is this a normal thing for these Carb'd pickups? it seems pretty low for simple 4 banger..

I've also noticed that it is hard to start.. sometimes after 4 or 5 cranks over and over, while pumping - I've tossed it off to the mechanical fuel pump (yea.. its mechanical). I also noticed that while having to pump it, i can really smell the fuel dripping off the engine. Is that why its hard to start because its getting too much fuel? I suck when it comes to carb's.. any help would be awesome.

-Justin

Is it computer controlled? That's in the era of "feedback" computer controlled carbs and Mitsubishi's are notorious for having computer failures. That's the main reason you don't see older mitsubishi's on the road - I haven't seen a Mighty-Max in years and cars don't rust here. Last one I had anything to do with had a bad ECU (of course) and the dealer wanted an unholy sum of money for a replacement.

GD

I'm pretty sure it isn't computer controlled, at least not by much that would make a difference. The CEL doesn't even require much to clear other than a switch on the cluster.. and I believe its not even a true CEL light but a timed service carb light ( or something to that nature) I cant pull any codes from it because, at least i haven't found, there isnt a way to pull 'em. :-/

So I want to say because there isnt a way to pull any codes.. that it isnt ECU controlled.

-Justin

A FI block may not help you much either. This is a brick with a small engine not designed for power, but for MPG.

This sounds like your choke needs to be adjusted. Your pumping it may be floding it out trying to make up for a non-functioining choke.

well to me it doesnt seem to even have the "MPG" when its 19 MPG.. I'll have to try and fiddle with the choke and see if that gets me anywhere.

I'm kinda disappointed since its such a small engine that the best i can get out of it is 19. But, it is what it is..

-Justin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It could be an Easy Swap, since I've seen many of those Pick up Trucks, and all of them with Manual Transmissions, so the point to place the Clutch Pedal must be There and the Hardware will fit it Right.

I Believe that those came with Hydraulic Clutch, but I'm not really Sure...

By the Way, those with Manual Trans aren't Gas Hungry...

Good Luck!

Kind Regards.

I doubt if i can be able to get the trans... i dont have the money for that project. My friend said it was a cable clutch so we would've been able to just grab all of that out with the trans.

I wonder if they did a different cab for the man/auto tranny's.. there isnt a cut-out for the gear shift and no opening for a cable for the clutch.. obviously, i could just cut it out. made me wonder...

-Justin

well to me it doesnt seem to even have the "MPG" when its 19 MPG.. I'll have to try and fiddle with the choke and see if that gets me anywhere.

I'm kinda disappointed since its such a small engine that the best i can get out of it is 19. But, it is what it is..

-Justin

AT the time most pickups were full size and getting 13-15.

Here is an interesting comment from the owner of a '87 2.0L Mighty Max with Manual Transmission:

http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/mitsubishi/mighty_max/1987/

A Video of a Mighty Max with a Weber 32/36 Carb!

(You can see a Red Subaru and a Lincoln there too...)

and here's the Mighty Max / D50 Forums:

http://www.maxd50scene.com/

I Hope those can Help with Ideas...

Kind Regards.

Hey thanks JesZek, for that bit of information. I watched the video of the max with a weber carb.. I gotta say, that guy has a bit of a peice of junk. He did have a few nifty things that he added though like the electronic fuel pump, and such. I'll have to add a post of my truck later and show you it.

I was thinking of the electronic fuel pump, simply because it would probably help it start easier. When you leave it for the night and start it.. it takes a couple cranks to get it to catch.

Eventually, if i end up keeping the truck for sure, I'll try and find a 5 speed for it. seems in that guy's video it had a lot more pick up and go than mine does.. which is sad because he said it was slow! hahaha

Thanks!

-Justin

Here is an interesting comment from the owner of a '87 2.0L Mighty Max with Manual Transmission:

http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/mitsubishi/mighty_max/1987/

A Video of a Mighty Max with a Weber 32/36 Carb!

(You can see a Red Subaru and a Lincoln there too...)

and here's the Mighty Max / D50 Forums:

http://www.maxd50scene.com/

I Hope those can Help with Ideas...

Kind Regards.

IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

IMG_0194.jpg

IMG_0195.jpg

Sorry for the mess in the truck.. I havent had a chance to really clean it.

On my to-do for the truck is take off whats left of the old window tint off the 1/3 windows in the back - if you look through them all you see is a blur. I'm wanting to put some tint back on it.. but that'll come later.

I was thinking about that electronic fuel pump (before i saw that video) Obviously it might not do much for the overall fuel economy, but might help with the starting the motor.

I'm also planning on removing the "mechanical" fan that i have. I swapped out the clutch fan a while back for the 1:1 spin fan because it was having clutch issues as well as heating up issues. I wanted to make sure that i was getting all the cooling i needed. now I'm sure a good electric fan should do the trick.

I also want to swap out that power inverter for something a bit beefer.. i occasionally do some auto detailing and need power-on demand. sometimes i cant just run an extension cord from a building so its easier to just have the power as a part of my truck. at the moment its 400w (800w max for 30 sec) but it cant even run a vacuum. so that doesnt do me much good. though, i'm really liking the power outlet i put in the back.

-Justin

Edited by crazyman03

• 2 weeks later...

yea.... that maxd50 site doesn't seem to have much as far as help. Least, not compared to usmb :-/. I still haven't gotten any replies to my intro post. I've replied to a couple threads and started 2. all I've gotten was a .. nope... sorry you are s.o.l. :-S

-Justin

• 3 months later...

neat!, do they have a Dodge d50 down there? its pretty much the same thing engine and body.

Today i took out the 1:1 bolt-on radiator fan and put in a electric fan off of a Integra. I put it on a relay and attached it to the "run" position on the key so that when the car is on it'll be on with it and on a switch so i can turn it off if i'm running too cold. I'll try and get some pictures of it tomorrow.

-Justin