Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Used Transmission?

I have a 1987 DL 4wd 4 speed single range manual hatchback with an ea81. It is my understanding I can swap for the 5 speed dual range...I see a few on ebay they look completely different which one is best? Which will easiest to convert? Thanks for the help.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/85-86-87-SUBARU-PASSENGER-MANUAL-TRANSMISSION-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4cf404b59cQQitemZ330511463836QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/87-88-89-SUBARU-MANUAL-TRANSMISSION-4WD-DUAL-RANGE-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZMakeQ3aSubaruQQhashZitem256384f653QQitemZ160583448147QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Both gearboxes are the same - Dual range L series. The difference between the two could be the front diff ratio which will be either 3.9 or 3.7 depending on the year it was made. Over here Pre '87 models were typically 3.9 and in mid '87 they went to 3.7 without any 3.9's from what I've seen/read.

Both gearboxes will be the same to drop in you EA81 Hatch. The other thing to look at is the number of miles each box has done. The second link looks like that gearbox has been outside for some time looking at the rust on top of the low range rod on top of the gearbox...

There are plenty of threads around the traps about this conversion - do a search and check out what you need to do to make it fit ;)

Cheers

Bennie