Ultimate Subaru Message Board

overheating

could be...water pump, air bubbles in cooling system, no oil, bad oil, oil pump. If you lose coolant, It could be a blown head gasket, coolant in the cylinders could cause rough idle. I cant think of any others right now. check the oil first...do a search also...you will get a lot of good info...good luck

driving around town it doesnt overheat so bad gauge goes up to about three quarters and stays. theres no water in oil and no oil in coolant. also heater blows ho t air. if head gasket was blown would i not see steam. also other than rough idle the car runs smooth. whats the best way to check water ppump?

I dont know how to check a water pump but it might be worth in to have the radiator inspected. How many miles are on the pump? Does the gauge ever read past 3/4 and fully overheat?

if it is not the radiator, and everything is working like you say it does, I would say its the pump thats wearing out, however someone who has owned a soob longer than me might know something I dont...

2 more possibilities, although unlikely, belt tension is too tight, or a bad gauge/sender

good luck

:)

put new t-stat in , topped it off , drove 80 miles before overheating. now im getting white steam from exxaust pipe , not much. im thinking blown gasket or cracked head. the car runs great til it overheats. if it was the water pump i would not be getting steam out the back would i? im going to try some of that glass seal. are you familiar with it, does it work? thanks wes