Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea81 valve spring compressor?

With the heads off I use an OLD Snap-On one that looks like a giant C-Clamp - works great. With the heads installed it can be done too. I use an adapter for a compression tester with the schrader valve removed to pressurize the cylinder with shop air (holding the valves closed). I fabbed up something out of a scrap piece of steel I had laying around the shop to lever the springs down and remove the keepers (you do still have to remove the rocker arm shafts). Although this second method works it is sort of a PITA. Much easier with the heads off:) Be advised that there are at least 3 different styles of EA81 pushrods and at least 2 different height of valve springs that I know of. There are also at least 2 different versions of rocker shafts that I have found so far. Not all these parts will play well together in the wrong combinations.

The smaller "overhead" spring compressors work really well too. I end up using those more for older V-8's though.

Although this is made by Mac Tools, mine looks exactly like this one

MAC-TOOLS-VALVE-SPRING-COMPRESSOR

Edited by Crazyeights