Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

clunky sway bar bushings..quick fix

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Chip

Chip

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • Canada

Posted 13 August 2011 - 10:45 AM

My '03 Impreza's front sway bar bushings were making quite a bit of noise when going over bumps. I found a quick and dirty alternative to changing them,(because I'm cheap).
Jack up the front of the car so the front wheels are off the ground. You'll see quite a gap between the bushing and the bar. I cut pieces of an old bicycle innertube about 1/2inch x 1 inch and shoved it inside the gap. That's it ! It worked...no more noise.

#2 987687

Rally Suby!

• Members
  • 3,599 posts
  • Northern Maine

Posted 14 August 2011 - 06:48 AM

Good idea on the inner tube rubber.
I use that red plumbers gasket stuff for fixing clunks in my suspension. Much cheaper than ripping everything apart and spending lots of money on bushings...

Haters will hate, but this isn't a race car. It's fine for tooling around on the road.

#3 brus brother

brus brother

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,926 posts
  • Connecticut

Posted 15 August 2011 - 12:51 AM

Good idea on the inner tube rubber.
I use that red plumbers gasket stuff for fixing clunks in my suspension. Much cheaper than ripping everything apart and spending lots of money on bushings...

Haters will hate, but this isn't a race car. It's fine for tooling around on the road.

I've started to notice the sound and see the bushing wear on my 05 OB with 110K miles. Would the pieces wedged in be expected to stay in place? Is there a downside to this "mod"? Haters responses welcome.

#4 Chip

Chip

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • Canada

Posted 15 August 2011 - 01:07 PM

I don't know how long they rubber strips will stay there. I'm hoping they'll stay for at least several months.....It was such a quick fix that even if I have to re-do it in a few months, it's no big deal....(unless it's -35C outside).
I was wondering if the rubber strips were coated with rubber cement first if it would make them stay longer......:rolleyes:....

#5 987687

Rally Suby!

• Members
  • 3,599 posts
  • Northern Maine

Posted 15 August 2011 - 01:19 PM

Buy a bag of zip ties. You should have a bag of zip ties that lives in your trunk anyway.... Then you can make anything stay in place :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users