Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just picked up a set of alloy rims from a '95 Legacy to put under my '98 OBW for my snow tires. The bolt pattern and offset are the same but the "thickness" of the metal where the lugnuts go is a little less on the Legacy rims. I figured that with a different set of lugnuts it should be no problem at all, but I was wondering whether anybody else has done this sort of a swap, and if so what kind of lugnuts did you end up getting (or from where). Or is this a bad idea or are there better solutions out there ?

Thanks,

Hank Jedema

Jedema@bns.pitt.edu

Are the Legacy wheels 15"? There were also 14" alloy wheels for the Legacys. I don't think the 14" would fit your OB. Otherwise they should bolt on. Depending on the wheels from the legacy you might need the open ended lug nuts, if the wheel has a center cap that covers them.

The wheels are 15" and they do indeed fit on the hub without a problem, but since the metal of the rim is thinner the lug (cap)nuts cannot go far enough on the studs without "maxing" out. So it looks like I will have to get longer/deeper lugnuts, and I was wondering whether anybody else had found a source for them.

Hank Jedema

Jedema@bns.pitt.edu

I have this problem with my snow wheels/tires. The tires are mounted on steel wheels and require open lug nuts for the same reason. They should be availabe at a parts store or from tirerack (part# N7Z NC12x1.25 - for my car).

-Heikki