Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Air injection ?'s

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 eyesore

eyesore

Rocky Mtn. Road Warrior

• Members
  • 451 posts
  • Centennial

Posted 11 March 2004 - 03:50 PM

I'm just wondering, since my stock air cleaner is gone, (from Eyesore, 1978 Ea-71 4spd) The air injection system (or whatever it's called ) is drawing straight from the atmosphere.... When I plug this with my finger, I don't notice any difference in the motor (other than it is quiter without that gurgling sound)
Now, Is this something that is OK to plug off, or should I find some kind of filter for it?

#2 archemitis

archemitis

guy smiley

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
  • the big minnie

Posted 11 March 2004 - 04:05 PM

sparkplugs, wrapped in duct tape, or... screwdriver ends, work great! plug the rubber hose parts. no big deal

#3 eyesore

eyesore

Rocky Mtn. Road Warrior

• Members
  • 451 posts
  • Centennial

Posted 11 March 2004 - 04:08 PM

According to the FSM, on the "Air Suction System" :
"The fresh air sucked is mainly used for oxidation of HC and CO in the exhaust passage and partly used for fuel combustion in the cylinder. "
So if the engine is using this system to supplement the carb in adding air to the combustion process, I'm assuming this should not be plugged. Is this a correct assumption? If so, can anyone reccomend a tiny filter that will mount to the silencer (the little silver canister at the top of the system)?
I would prefer to plug this, and remove the sound, but I want to be sure that won't be causing a rich condition in the chamber, or otherwise harm the motor.
With that in mind, is it OK to plug this system?

#4 archemitis

archemitis

guy smiley

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
  • the big minnie

Posted 11 March 2004 - 08:19 PM

no, it puts air into your exhaust to help the catalytic converter work better. doesnt put air in the engine, puts air after the engine. ditch that crap

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users