Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Intermittent Fuel Pump failure. Which wires +?

My Fuel pump on the 84 Wagon is failing. I just replaced it about a month or so ago. The car used to die spurraticly while driving. I replaced the pump and it solved the problem. Now its doing it again. I re-wired the pump, removing the stock plug, and just using attatching the wires to eachother. I made sure this time there was nothing for the wires to rub on, and checked for damage. I even followed the wiring up through the rear bench and made sure everything was good.

The pump started to operate again, but as soon as i took it on its test drive, it died again. Didn't even make it 2 blocks. This time, i just checked the wiring from inside the cab, by gaining access to the pump through the hole under the bench where the wiring runs. I could tell the pump was not working. I was able to get my car to run off of carb cleaner, and then somehow again the pump started to pump. I was able to get the car home, where it sits now.

Im thinking of just hard wiring a switch to my switchboard inside the car, and control the fuel pump that way.

-Brian

Originally posted by TheSubaruJunkie

Im thinking of just hard wiring a switch to my switchboard inside the car, and control the fuel pump that way.

-Brian

The only thing I can see wrong with that is if you were in an accident. The pump might continue to run unless you are physically able (uninjured) to shut it off...potential fire hazard.

Devise some kind of safety shutoff? Just a thought.

-Louis-

'91 Loyale 4wd 5spd Wagon

Yeah, thats always something to think about. My main goal is getting to and from work for right now. Im planning on getting another sube to use as my daily driver.

ive noticed the wiring that leads to the pump is blue and black. I assume the black wire is ground, but i thought i read somewhere that Subaru used Blue to represent Earth, and using blue wires as their ground. Does anyone know for sure which one is the + ??

-Brian

Brian,

My 82 did this exact same thing (many years ago). Exact same!

Replacing the pump did the trick. It was my pump NOT the wiring.

The black wire is the ground it should run the the side of the car then connect with all the other black wires in the grounding system in the harness.

Good Luck,

Glenn,

82 Hatch, well it used to be.....

01 Forester, still is.....

I tapped into the blue wire, +, and ran it to a switch. I have the switch mounted in my center console, and it has a light on it so i shouldnt forget to turn it off.

I timed the car, with the switch off, the car ran for 60 seconds. With it on, it ran for over 3 minutes, and then took a test drive around the block. came home, parked it, shut off the switch and it ran for another 60seconds before dying.

-Brian