Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am noobie Just brought this home tonight!

Looks like I got some work cut out but hope to have you guys help me out with bits and pieces. :grin:

Most everything is there but I am worried about the windshield and chrome bits.

DSCN1964.jpg

DSCN1968.jpg

DSCN1967.jpg

DSCN1966.jpg

DSCN1965.jpg

DSCN1969.jpg

DSCN1970.jpg

DSCN1972.jpg

DSCN1963.jpg

DSCN1973.jpg

So it looks like a 9/78 so I guess a 79 :clap: Lots of work ahead got it for basically $350 traded my friend some 2nd amendment stuff :headbang: with option to buy back. I could not pass that up. Other wise you have to feather the throttle idles fine but does need electrical work but I also have access to all his part that he has collected. He wants his none stock and mine is going to be stock so I get all the good parts. Only body problem is cancer on the drivers fender at the top and a spot on the floor. So looking for front fenders one for me and one for my friend. Anyways nuff babble.

Great fourm!

Edited by waldoz

Carpet might be hard to find but there are some people here with fenders out there. I bought my 79 brat a year or so ago and it didnt have the original carpet but it was replaced with new carpet. I personally didnt do it myself or would know how much it would cost. I have some little odds and ends stuff so if you see your missing any pieces just list it in the parts wanted forum. Other sources that helped me out a lot was ebay and craigslist. I had to search out of state on Craigslist cuase no one here in FL had anything. I was lucky to find poeple that was willing to ship the parts.

Well worked on it a bit last night and realized that the PO owner or owners totally patched the harness together. :mad: I have a nice harness I think from a 84. Has anyone redone the engine bay? I am sure there is a better way just to have lights ground and power. Its a big rats nest with wires spliced in all over the place. I had power one minute and then no power on the fan line. go figure. I think I am going to pull the motor and redo the bay and wire. It will be a good winter project. :grin:

very nice brat. welcome to the board. hope you get to enjoy your new toy. i have found for me working on my subarus is half the fun of owning them. but i feel that way about any vehicle. :rolleyes:

i wish i could find a brat. being in florida makes that next to impossible. i got a baja to hold me over till i can find one.

looking forward to seeing the progress.

I don't want to dig to deep into this car but I can't just do it half way. Need to wait till some $ shows up to get mat and parts. This was my last major project v6 turbo into a volvo. SDC10407.jpg

To much $ flushing away but its been year and half time to work on something again. Dumped it for $2500 after the trans blew and I was done. The Brat just fell into my lap so try to make the best of it and keep it stock:clap:. No turbos :D

I saw that, but $300 for carpet? Shipping just kills you. I did look at mine and it does not seem to have any holes. I am going to try an clean it up and see how it goes. I am def going to put mats in though. By the way you have any fenders?

very nice brat. welcome to the board. hope you get to enjoy your new toy. i have found for me working on my subarus is half the fun of owning them. but i feel that way about any vehicle. :rolleyes:

i wish i could find a brat. being in florida makes that next to impossible. i got a baja to hold me over till i can find one.

looking forward to seeing the progress.

I hear that.. you dont see many down in FL. Took me a long while and then I just saved up the money and said the hell with it.. I ended up shipping one here from AZ... So I have one now in WPB, FL if you wanna come visit...

Thats some nice work with the carpet. That sounds about right for the work they did too. As for the foot pedal my friend has an extra one with a bolt. I guess the floor needs some work. I am little nervous to pull the carpet up though might find a hole or two.:rolleyes: I did find the paint code think its 24.

• 2 weeks later...

So I was not looking forward to this. I almost thought I would get away with just cleaning it up but seems bit more than I thought. No worries got a 110 welder and I welded for 12 yrs on thin material so Its going to be some fun. I also did find some holes in the floor but will work on those later first engine bay and fenders. Now on to the pictures.:banana: Took the window sash off and there was a mouse nest in there. :eek:

Enginebay012.jpg

Does not look too bad so far.

Enginebay015-1.jpg

ok here going to reinforce this prob.

Enginebay011-1.jpg

Getting little rust spots.

Enginebay008-1.jpg

OH now for the bad.

Enginebay006-1.jpg

Enginebay010-1.jpg

fender problems would like to find a drives side bolt on. If not I can prob fix it.

Enginebay001.jpg

I figured this would happen but not 8 times.

Enginebay002-1.jpg

This is the great hack job they did to the wires.

Enginebay014.jpg:confused:

I have not really thought about which way to go with this. I will fix the problems but I am telling you POR-15 is looking really good right now. If not going to respray the engine bay. I have only sprayed a few things but this would be pretty big for me. With the por 15 I could brush that stuff on. On a side note I will prob pull the motor and trans and that seems easy enough.:rolleyes: I am going to try and have this part done by spring. :grin: Or sooner and move to the floors on the brat. Now I just need some $$ for suplies.:rolleyes:

*shudder*

I had cowl rust that looked like that and it turned out to be much worse under the surface. I ended up replacing the metal, but it was not fun and time consuming. Not something I would want to do again. The only problem I would say with just POR'ing it would be if the rust is bad, it should be fixed as the cowl has some fairly thick metal (and 3 layers) that I would assume is there for a reason (as in structural). If is is just a little more than surface, I'd treat it and coat it and call it a day. You will want to cut out the battery tray to treat the rust under it. The frame repair should not be too bad, mostly flat metal. Good luck and keep up the progress reports.:)

Mark

About now might be a good time to ask yourself the hard questions- from your Volvo pic I'd say you know what I mean. I bought a '78 in slightly better shape but with rust in all the same places. A LOT of work to do it right (lots of welding and I used POR 15, too). The more you dig, the more you will find. I just decided near the beginning I would do the restoration regardless, just for the fun factor. Parts are relatively cheap when you can find them; that's part of the challenge, too. Seems like almost all the gen 1's out there have rust, unless they've been gone through thoroughly or been in desert storage...When you're done you'll have a really cool little 4X4 truck that will turn heads and get 30 mpg. Best of luck.

This is a short term project. I do have my eye open for another one. This is to keep me busy for the time being. Wen I do get serious with the rust the ice pick will come out. :lol: ok maybe just the screw driver.:) Thel wire wheel and the flapper wheel will be my friend. The motor I hope will be coming out in two weeks when I have a bit more time. The motor already does not leak a drop. It needs a good cleaning though and detail.

Enginebay032.jpg

Enginebay031.jpg

I tell you if that foam thing was not in there the frame would not have rusted

Enginebay030.jpg

Enginebay029.jpg

Bit o rus going to fix that.

Enginebay026.jpg

Enginebay025.jpg

Enginebay024.jpg

Enginebay033-1.jpg

Enginebay023.jpg

Thats not bad its just fall out from the battery area. Going to fab up a 90 deg bend and cut that out and clean it up before put the new patch in though.

Enginebay022.jpg

Enginebay028.jpg

Over all not too bad. The cancer where the fender was I had pics of but got del but I have to replace with some 16 ga metal. Prob tack it in and grind it off and then por15 everything. The biggest problem is getting rid of the rust and neutralize it. This will be good exp for my next project. :grin:

More updates to come seems the wife is ok with how much time I have put into this. My oldest daughter is loving it too, cleaning and vac the rust up.:clap:

Got a spread sheet on Google docs to track the cost and expenses too.:eek:

Ok found them and took a few more of the problem areas.

Enginebay034.jpg

Enginebay038.jpg

Enginebay036.jpg

Edited by waldoz

I hear that.. you dont see many down in FL. Took me a long while and then I just saved up the money and said the hell with it.. I ended up shipping one here from AZ... So I have one now in WPB, FL if you wanna come visit...

i looked for a little while. and ended up with 05 baja instead. that was a few years ago. get the baja paid off. then maybe a brat....hmmmm...:burnout:

west palm beach hmm. maybe a subaru meet in daytona or further south. like merritt island maybe get some central florida people to show up as well. i think there are one or two around tampa and orlando. florida and east coast subaru board members unite.....:grin:. maybe possibly?!?!?!? one never knows.

i wish i would have known sooner that when i got my first subaru 88 gl sedan fwd. that i would end up 5 and half years later owning 5 so far. one parts wagon 87 gl. 88 sedan gl. 89 xt. 05 baja. 92 loyale wagon.......keep them coming:lol:. i am down to three at the moment:rolleyes:!

Look inside on the inner wheel wells. Way up high. Pull back the trim and insulation and check where the firewall, wheel well and front panal come together.

Nice Brat though and well worth the restoration!

Yes, that foam in the fenders rusted MANY fenders!! bad/bad design!

Look inside on the inner wheel wells. Way up high.

Yeah I don't think that is my biggest worries.

Carpets are good little cleaning up no rips just really dirty.

Enginebay040.jpg

Enginebay039.jpg

Tools of the trade 2.5 hammer and paint scraper. :grin: This is how I find out if the metal is good or not.:eek:

Enginebay042.jpg

Yeah its the flints stones almost.:eek:

Enginebay048.jpg

I was lucky to get the bolt out.

Enginebay047.jpg

lots of holes.

Enginebay046.jpg

Enginebay044.jpg

Enginebay045.jpg

Enginebay043.jpg

Enginebay041.jpg

well I think what I am going to do is take the center brace out. Going to drill out all the spot welds with a spot weld drill bit. I will take it to work and rebuild it on my lunch breaks. I am almost thinking this is way over my head.:dead::Flame:zzz

Anyone every got this deep in? LOL

My 78 didn't need quite this much welding, but a fair amount. I started my project for the enjoyment of the work, not because it made sense (the things we tell ourselves...:rolleyes:) If you're having second thoughts, maybe buy another with less rust, now that you know exactly where to search for it. You could use this one for parts. This stuff is getting hard to find so having a parts truck would be worthwhile. I bought a 79 this spring for parts, but it is actually almost rust free as far as I can tell, so it will end up being another project on its own, and I'm back to scrounging parts again:-\

parts cars are not an option with the wife. I am lucky to just have a project after the 10 years of the race car. I am not complaining I am just saying that its more than I thought. No matter though. I am thinking this through again might cut the whole section out and take it to work and fix it all then just weld the whole thing in again. The pass side is not too bad for some reason but it has not met the 2.5lb hammer. When I get to the other side then will have to see which way to go.:)