Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am noobie Just brought this home tonight!

I fabbed this up at work and you will soon see why.

DSCN3313.jpg

I wire wheeled the top corner and this is whats left. :eek:

DSCN3322.jpg

I think this will do just fine cut it weld it up and done. Might be a bit before I get to it though.

DSCN3324.jpg

Well I am trying to figure out how to get this one off. Its not as easy to get to it to drill the spot welds out. I might have to use the cutting wheel to get to it. I would rather drill it so will try to do that as much as possible. I am also going to see if I can borrow a 90 deg drill.

DSCN3325.jpgzzz

All for now. :brow:

Don't try this at home kids it might scare you. :eek: Its like opening a present at Christmas. I could not get in there so I got a tool from work, a 90 deg air drill. One of the other problems was I could not see all the spot welds. But I got that thing off. :clap: I am thinking you know I could take the cover off for the vent area.... Naahhh

The Spare tire tin is really solid so I will wire wheel the snot out of it and paint it.;)

DSCN3354.jpg

This is the present I got when I pulled it off.

DSCN3351.jpg

Yeah you can see bad idea for the brat.

DSCN3350.jpg

Not much else going to do today had only little bit of time. I might just replace that whole patch but I am not sure if I want to do that though.

I first started out with trying paint cans too thin. I ended up with 18ga though I think that its more like 20 ga. 18 you can still work with it. I have learned a lot on this one though. I don't know if I would do this again though. :horse::P

Ok little update with some pics. I have been not wanting to do this because it could be a lot more work.

So I got the tools of the trade from work:

Tap, drill and cutting oil

DSCN3365.jpg

I would use small bit with a center punch first. Then use the correct size drill for the tap. A guy at work helped me pick out the stuff since its in mm.

DSCN3364.jpg

Here is the tap just in case you want to know. :)

DSCN3363.jpg

Before:

DSCN3233.jpg

Yeah I know its the other side but hey I thought I took a picture of the same side before. Also if you know where these are at your not getting to them unless you cut a hole. I did not want to do that unless I had to.

After:

DSCN3358.jpg:banana:

So I had one MIA after the center punch popped it out. :mad:

DSCN3361.jpg

well that's it for now try to do some cutting and welding this weekend so I can wrap up the interior and start putting the cabin back in.

Well I got some time to patch of the front tray. I have to say the way they put this thing together it was bound to leak right off the bat.:banghead:

Anyways got some pictures.

DSCN3322.jpg

Fixed but needs to be cleaned up and hole drilled.

DSCN3391.jpg

There were a lot of holes and even some where they mounted under dash speakers and drill through the shelf to mount them.

DSCN3351.jpg

And patched up. It needs major clean up before I cover it.

DSCN3392.jpg

I am glad I got that done. There are some holes in the dash area that need to be spot welded but the dash is a lot thicker steel so that should be easy.

Do you guys have any suggestions to seal up the vent area? I am thinking of some ways to do it but not sure what I am going to do yet so I am open to suggestions. :burnout:

On a side note have you guys done anything with the window scrapers on the doors?:rolleyes:

You can by new window scrapers from Scott's Old Auto Rubber. Here is the page that lists them for Subaru (listed as weather seal - outer):

http://www.scottsoldautorubber.com.au/SUBARU%201975%20SEDAN.htm

They are not exactly like the original scrapers but do fit and work OK. The originals are almost like plastic while these are softer and more... well, like rubber...

I cannot remember the price (you have to contact them to find out) but they are not that expensive and you can reuse the old metal clips if you have them rather than buying new ones (also listed).

Man, great progress; at this rate you'll be driving yours before my engine is even installed. Good job, keep it up!

There is a 4 x 4 trip with some Toyota SR5 guys in Sept. that I am trying to get done for. But I am not sure the reliable feature will be there yet. :rolleyes:

Just ordered:

http://www.eastwood.com/internal-frame-coating-w-spray-nozzle.html

Looking at my brat and finishing up some welds trying to figure out how to paint in the tight spots. I got two cans of this stuff it was on sale for $14.95 with free shipping. Got that out of JP 4 x4 magazine in the back on one of their adds. If you call up and tell them that you saw it in there they will give it to you. Its in this months. :) I am going to use this stuff everywhere I can not paint. :D

Edited by waldoz

Welp got a lot done. The carpets, I did not know if I could save them but they turned out sweet!:headbang:

I checked out a preassure washer from work and cleaned and cleaned. Then I soaped them up and cleaned some more and hung them to dry. :clap:

DSCN3408.jpg

Oh yeah heater core came in like a day.

DSCN3409.jpg

Painted the back of the tire pan to get ready to weld it on.

DSCN3410.jpg

While I was waiting for that I painted the window lip to get ready to have the window installed.

DSCN3413.jpg

Then I got a little carried away and started on the inside back pannel.

DSCN3412.jpg

I can not tell you how great that SEM paint is I would recommend it to anyone.

I also started to weld the tire pan on but was pulled away. That is something I can finish up in 20 min or so not a big deal. Now I am waiting for the one gallon of SEM paint to show up to finish painting the inside. That stuff dries pretty fast. I had to hammer the pan down some but after I am done I will re coat it again.

DSCN3415.jpg

I think that I will wait to put the dash in till after the window is in. I will prob rebuild the heater core assy and clean that up and get it ready to install back in. Its going to look really nice and smell good too. It will be nice to drive it around the block again.

Does anyone have a seat cover in black. I just need the bottom one to replace the divers side. Its split but if someone has one they can ship me I will just pull the bottom off and replace it. The other one is fine and they are good enough not to need the seats replaced. I have seen some newer subie seats install if I can find some on the cheap I might do that.

All for now hope to get the heater core finished this week.

Any anti-corrosive coating you can put on that heater core (not the fins) will keep that from the next guy's list 20 years from now.

Even just from normal exposure those spigots tend to get really crappy and eventually freeze up.

Go man! :clap:

And don't forget the T fitting inline for flushing the system.

I got a few min out in the garage. I finish it up still need to coat that whole shelf again. :grin: Oh and the 1 gallon of SEM paint showed up today. I will prob switch to the heater now to get ready for the install after the paint. Where do you guys get heater hoses? I have not looked yet but I figured you guys would know where to pick up some. If not I can use universal ones as a last resort.:-\

And finished up, just needs paint.

DSCN3417.jpg

Can't get them to you in time but I've got some in storage. For now you might get lucky with Danny - "drivesubies" - or "dannybreadman" on eBay. Check his eBay store quick , then contact him thru here or eBay if need be.

You might get lucky elsewhere. Not much of a bend to them so maybe a straight generic run will do .....maybe with an elbow at the end. That could be a 90 deg. fitting with just an inch or so extention of hose to the unit.

Well that was a screw up. I was so excited that I found one I just bought it not reading the listing. I need the heater hose not a radiator hose. :rolleyes: Well I asked him to reject my payment. If not then I have a new Radiator hose. :-\ lesson learned. He does have some nice stuff though. :)