Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 1998 Legacy Outback Wagon is getting some oxidation and fading of the paint on the hood, A pillar, and roof. (basically the parts that see the most sun). Is this a common problem? if so, will Subaru repaint it for free?:brow:

is to go grab yourself the Mothers 3 Phase waxing system (a pre-wax cleaner, sealer and glaze and carnuba wax) and get to work.

You should be able to clean up the oxidization and then protect the paint with a good sealer and glaze once every couple of months and a wax once a month.

Or if your like me and get fanatical about having a clean car, wax and seal/glaze every week.

It will definately stop it from progressing, and your car will love you for it.

Its likely that subaru would probably just tell you that you havent cared for the paint well enough and its your fault for letting it get like that, so i doubt youll get a re-spray out of it. And please dont take that the wrong way, im not saying you dont look after your car, thats just what the dealer would say to get out of it.

There are stacks of cars newer than your around with pretty bad paint, i dont think car manufacturers put enough effort into paint quality anymore. Just look at some of those gorgeous old Mercedes Benz's or over here old Holdens, they dont take the time to really make the car look great anymore.

Use the mothers stuff, or comparable quality products, McGuires is overpriced, but anything along those lines will do your car a world of good. Just steer clear of anything cheap, or a convensional polish (no good for clear coat, which i assume your car has, but maybe not.......i dont know).

Originally posted by adge_082

There are stacks of cars newer than your around with pretty bad paint, i dont think car manufacturers put enough effort into paint quality anymore.

That's the truth! I just remeber Ford doing a voluntary recall on a paint problem a few years back. Thanks for the advice. I've used Mother's stuff before, it is pretty good.