Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Making my car two tone...good idea? Rubberize/Texture the 2nd Half?

i know a few people with off-road type vehicles and the have been "painting" the lower half of their vehicles with the same type of product that people use for spray bedliners, which i believe you can have tinted different colors. this protects there sheet meteal from rocks and debris. just type in spray bedliners on your search engine. there is a company in wisc. that has been doing it for years

• 2 months later...

After I do the fender cutting-out, I am gonna do the bottom half of my off-road wagon in black rubberized rocker coating stuff. This will protect my lower half from all the dings and scratches of offroading, and cover up my crappy bodywork ;) I believe most factories use 3M "schutz" coating. It comes in black with a rough texture and beige with a smoother texture in 28oz cans. You can get it at any auto paint store which carries 3M stuff. Probably other paint companies, such as PPG, have their own version.It is paintable. You spray it with an undercoating gun, which can be had from Harbor Freight for 7 bucks. Another alternative is "durabak" It comes in several colors, also sprays with an undercoating gun or brush on, about 90 to 120 dollars a gallon, a gallon covers 60 square feet. But you gotta use it all once you start, you can't put the lid on and save it for later, it will harden in the can, so you may as well do inside the fenders, and the cargo area etc. while you are at it.

Rhinoline the whole car! :lol:

I considered it for a while before I pitched the body. I think it would be funny! It would look like a stealth car! :brow:

I have used the spray on stuff for years and like the results. You can control the texture by how you apply it.

Do it! :grin:

Glenn,

82 SubaruHummer rhino lined frame

01 Forester, spray on undercoating where it needed it.