Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Rear strut replacement with a broken strut!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 hankosolder2

hankosolder2

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 695 posts
  • Chicago

Posted 22 August 2011 - 10:31 PM

I just bought a '98 Legacy Wagon. 214K. One of the rear struts has failed to the extent that the strut cartridge insert and rod has pulled out from the main tube of the strut assembly. So, there's nothing to limit the travel of the spring if the weight of the car is not on the strut assembly and it's unbolted from the car.

I need to replace the strut (duh) and if I try to unbolt this thing as an assembly, I think the spring might go flying. I guess I could see if I can get a spring compressor on it while the hub is resting on a jack... has anyone run into this problem, and if so, how did you work around it?

Nathan

#2 Hocrest

Hocrest

Function becomes Fun

• Members
  • 1,346 posts
  • Cressona/Pittston

Posted 22 August 2011 - 10:39 PM

If I understand correctly, the upper rod has pulled out of the lower cartridge?

If so, don't worry about compressing it, just jack up the car and it will reach it's max extension without flying out.

#3 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 9,058 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 22 August 2011 - 10:55 PM

Yeah I wouldn't worry about it too much. The springs are only about an inch longer when uncompressed. That much won't make any difference to the suspension.

#4 hankosolder2

hankosolder2

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 695 posts
  • Chicago

Posted 22 August 2011 - 11:07 PM

Thanks guys- good to know. I'm really (overly?) cautious with compressed springs. Knowing that it'll decompress enough w/o flying off and impaling something or someone is a big help.

Nathan

#5 zundfolge

zundfolge

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Pomona, CA

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:09 AM

Perhaps this is stating the obvious, but if you are going to replace the strut but keep the old spring it you are going to need to procure a spring compressor anyway.

#6 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,748 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:52 AM

For what it is worth, in replacing a shock or strut, I put a bottle jack on the very bottom of the shock/strut, then jack it up to the proper height, so I can easily bolt the top in place. This technique has worked great for me in the past. I use pieces of 2X4 or whatever, placed under the bottle jack to get the desired height before jacking.

#7 hankosolder2

hankosolder2

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 695 posts
  • Chicago

Posted 27 August 2011 - 08:00 PM

I installed the new struts today. The "broken" side (longer than a normal strut assembly where the spring extension is limited by the strut rod) took a bit of maneuvering to get past the lower suspension arms, but came out OK. I was planning on taking pictures of the bad strut, but I left them out back and the metal scrapmen took them before I had the chance to get my camera!

Thanks for the advice!

Nathan

#8 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,748 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 27 August 2011 - 08:07 PM

What brand and model strut did you install? Was the spring bad as well?

#9 hankosolder2

hankosolder2

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 695 posts
  • Chicago

Posted 28 August 2011 - 04:57 PM

I installed KYBs. The old spring was just fine. I think the strut which failed was OEM...'98 with 200+K miles on it- the tube was incredibly badly rusted- never seen anything like it before, even on older cars than this.

#10 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,748 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 29 August 2011 - 08:02 PM

I installed KYBs. The old spring was just fine. I think the strut which failed was OEM...'98 with 200+K miles on it- the tube was incredibly badly rusted- never seen anything like it before, even on older cars than this.

Enjoy the KYBs. A great strut at a reasonable price. KYBs are what I always install.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users