Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 OBW, 192k, new rear struts about 50k ago. Front struts probably stock.

I first noticed the tail end of my car looked lower than others I would see. I finally got around to measuring the height from the ground to the top of the wheel arch and noticed that the left rear is 2 inches closer to the ground than the right. I did not measure the front.

I suppose it's possible that my rear struts, or at least one, is toast. Is it more likely the springs? Would the difference seen in the rear come from the certainly toasted front struts?

Is it the springs or the struts?

Safety concerns from this?

Look very close to the top first few inches of the coil. You may find the spring broke. I had the same problem. Front was almost 2 inches lower on the driver side. Turned out on close inspection the top of the spring was broke, it was very hard to see, I missed it the first few time I looked at it. Jacking it up made it easy to see.

springs attribute 95% to the ride height

Shocks are for rebound 95%

the other 5% on each is not much to think on.

You can take a shock cartridge and press it in and it will stay and hold, where you push a spring in and it comes right back out.

You probably have the saggy butt syndrome..weak springs.

weak springs will take a toll on shocks over time as well.

Edited by bheinen74