Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone install a Grant steering wheel on their GL?

Mine is an 83 and ordered a Grant wheel and adapter from Jegs. they then tell me the adapter is discontinued. They say they have one for a Legacy and Justy. Would the splines match and just be a matter of distance? Anyone have thoughts on this?

The splines are not the same.

I think they are confused about the one's they have - it is unlikely they have one that will fit a Justy but if so the Justy has the same spline as the EA81.

Neither Momo nor Grant still make adaptors for the EA81 - both have been discontinued for years.

However - there is a company in Japan that still makes them (for the Momo pattern - which you can get adaptors for the Grant pattern cheaply on ebay). Getting one here in the US is a pain since none of the JDM dealers bring that model over - you have to order one from a Japanese Yahoo auction and pay a third party company to receive it and then ship it to you. It works out to about $75 to get one that way.... I almost did..... But I got one from a board member in The Neatherlands that ordered it through the Yahoo auction and then decided he didn't want to use it - so I ended up paying $35 ($25 in shipping) to have him send me his instead.....

GD

One option is to buy a SAAS boss kit. You could ask this company on eBay if they will ship to the US.

SAAS makes boss kits/adapters for both EA81 and EA82. They are drilled for the two common (MOMO and Nardi) steering wheel patterns (Not the 5 bolt Grant style - need an adapter).

Grant's website says they still have them, but you would have to contact them for sure Part # 6596 Euro installation kit. It only works with the 5 bolt signature series steering wheels.

http://www.grantproducts.com/products/application_search/#30/47/826/180

I got mine through Baxter auto parts. They may have had some old stock in a warehouse.

ea81

IMG_1888.jpg

IMG_1890.jpg

Justy

IMG_1895.jpg

IMG_1897.jpg

The Justy splines match the ea82, but definitely not the ea81.

... you sure the spline is the same as the EA82?

I am going by memory so I am not 100%, but I am pretty sure. Their production years completely overlap, and I remember trying to remove an ea82 steering wheel to put on my Justy. I did not succeed in removing the ea82 wheel and almost broke both of my pullers trying, so that did not happen.

I will try to check tomorrow. I have to pull the ea81 steering wheel to lube the horn contact anyway.

Ferox - Do you like the Grant over the stock wheel? I find the stock wheel too big. I had this same wheel in my old 4Runner and was awesome.

I ordered mine through Jegs. They told me to call tomorrow and they will get on the phone with Grant to figure something out. Hope they do.

Ferox - Do you like the Grant over the stock wheel? I find the stock wheel too big.

Yeah I like the smaller diameter wheel and larger grip. The Grant definitely has less flex in it also. I have one on my Jeep as well. They are nothing special in the aftermarket steering wheel world, but I have been nothing but pleased with mine.

I ordered mine through Jegs. They told me to call tomorrow and they will get on the phone with Grant to figure something out. Hope they do.

Tell us what happens. I have had several places tell me they were discontinued for a long time now, but Grant kept them on their website after updating their website design. Seems like they would at least cull discontinued products from their online product list when they re-did the website. It could just be an erroneous computer classification, where the product description in the online dealer catalog was accidentally tagged as discontinued and has not been corrected.

I found a similar mistake with ea81 manual transmission mounts. Online they are not listed under transmission mounts anymore, they're under engine mounts on all the parts supplier websites. Somehow they mistakenly got classified under engine mounts and now all the parts places list them as such.

From the product description, I ordered a couple of these "engine mounts" from Rockauto the other day and received the manual transmission mounts I was looking for.

Edited by ferox

...the Justy has the same spline as the EA81.

You are correct sir (no surprise of course). I just checked both-16 mm with 20 splines each. I know I have been told that the ea82 and Justy are the same, I just can't remember who or when or where. The measurements don't lie.

After looking at both adapters, I don't see why the Justy adapter won't work on an ea81. The two little holes in the back that engage the turn-signal release might need to be drilled slightly larger, but I think they would actually work straight out of the box. The horn contact looks like it would fit no problem.

I couldn't try it out because the Justy has a different turn-signal release strategy. I had to customize the adapter, so there are roll-pins sticking out the back about an inch where the recesses are. The Justy adapters are machined out of a single piece of aluminum and powder-coated black. If they work on the ea81 that would be kind of bad rump roast. I tapped those pins in pretty good. After WCSS I might see how good. If I can get them out without damaging my setup I'll see how well it swaps.

Tell us what happens. I have had several places tell me they were discontinued for a long time now, but Grant kept them on their website after updating their website design. Seems like they would at least cull discontinued products from their online product list when they re-did the website. It could just be an erroneous computer classification, where the product description in the online dealer catalog was accidentally tagged as discontinued and has not been corrected.

I will call them Monday and let anyone know. Right now, my soob is on a trailer waiting to get the clutch replaced. I don't have any place to do it myself so a to a shop I go. :(

I ordered mine through Summit (the 6596 part number).

Took awhile to arrive, but it did.

grantwheel.jpg

My only issue is that since I don't have an EA81 vehicle, my horn connection isn't correct. Does anyone have a photo or diagram of how the horn connects on the roll connector with an EA81 car?

I ordered mine through Summit (the 6596 part number).

Took awhile to arrive, but it did.

WTF! lol. Jegs charged my $60 and didn't even bother to tell me it was backordered and discontinued. If they can't work something out when I call Monday, I will have them refund me and give Summit a call. $47.95 from them.

That's the adapter I have for my Justy. I guess that settles that. The Justy adapter works for the ea81. That is good news. That adapter is a pretty decent piece of hardware. Nice looking interior by the way.

So you are saying that the Justy adapter works on ea81 GL?

So you are saying that the Justy adapter works on ea81 GL?

It looks like it to me. If you look at the picture of the one on my Justy and look at the one on Beechbm69's ea81 they look like the same thing. Maybe that's why they discontinued the original ea81 adapter. If they discontinued it. I am going to try to call Grant tomorrow to get to the bottom of this.

Beechbm69 would be able to take a side shot of your adapter?

It looks like it to me. If you look at the picture of the one on my Justy and look at the one on Beechbm69's ea81 they look like the same thing. Maybe that's why they discontinued the original ea81 adapter. If they discontinued it. I am going to try to call Grant tomorrow to get to the bottom of this.

Beechbm69 would be able to take a side shot of your adapter?

Sorry, I've been away from the computer with storm cleanup. I'll get on that when I get home this afternoon.

Dan

I called Grant. They just looked at a computer apparently and said its discontinued. Also further reading, the part 6596 that is for the ea81 is for the 5 bolt signature series wheels, I bought the Challenger wheel that has 3 bolts.

So any thoughts on what I can do?

I don't know of any adaptors to use the 3-bolt wheel. Either you will have to make your own adaptor by cutting the splined section out of the stock wheel and then building an adaptor around it - correctly locating the 3-bolt pattern, etc. Seems like a lot of work..... I would get a wheel with the momo/nardi pattern and order a real adaptor made for an EA81 through the japanese yahoo auction I mentioned. I would make Jegs take the wheel back since they advertised an adaptor that didn't exist.....

GD