Ultimate Subaru Message Board

82 leone GL conversion options?

hi

i've got a 1982 leone GL 1800 (aus model), and was wondering if i could do a few conversions for it.

firstly ea81 - ea82t, this should be a bolt in job? anything special need to be done for this conversion?

secondaly auto - manual, is this possible? once again anything that i should know about.

thirdly 2wd to 4wd - i've herd that some late 80's 4wd running gear will bolt in without any major hassles and the only major thing is fabricating a rear diff hanger, once again any ideas?

cheers.

Buy a car that's already a manual 4WD, with the engine you want. Believe me, unless you have parts cars just hanging around your yard, you will spend more money and time converting it then just buying another.

The EA82T is not a bolt in - yes, it will bolt to the tranny, and bolt down to the engine mounts, but that's about where the bolt in stops. None of the exhaust will work, or the wiring, or..... well much of anything really. The clearance on the frame rails is very tight - like 1/4" or less on each side...

The auto to manual is not too dificult, and the capture nuts for the diff hanger are already present in the frame for the rear diff. You gas tank will need to be changed, as the 4WD tank is different. And the tranny tunnel may need beating or cutting to fit a 4WD tranny. The 4WD shifter mount does not exist on the 2WD tunnel, so that will have to be welded in too.... along with lots of other little things

GD