Ultimate Subaru Message Board

bad ball joints?

I'm in the process of replacing a halfshaft on my 1990 loyale with 180k miles on it. The tie rod end ball joint looks ok, but the one where the axle housing sits on the lower control arm is torn wide open. So I was thinking just replacing the torn one.

My question is this...are ball joints considered "bad" only when the rubber actually tears open? I had the thought that at 180k miles, it would be wise to change all the ball joints that I have access to while I'm in there.

I just changed out both my axles on my 88 GL wagon and I put one new ball joint in because when I took the axle out if just fell apart. So just check and see if they are tight and if there are I would leave them in there if there loose change them out.

Joe

Teas:

If it were my car, I would do both sides.

Ball joints DO wear, even if the boot survives. Unless you have reason to believe the one "good" ball joint has been replaced recently, you may as well assume it has gone the full 185k on the car. Probably not much life left on that one either.

In general, I think it's best to do preventive maintenance on a "keeper" car, any time you have labor invested on a job where an opportunity to upgrade exists. In your case, you are looking at at a 20-30 part with virtually no additional labor.

A no brainer in my book...

good luck, John

It's one of those, "might-as-well" things. You're there changing the axle, have a possible bad ball-joint, so might as well do it now. Would also check the tie-rod ends while you're at it. Cost of new parts isn't very much, and the piece of mind is priceless.

ok, so now how in the world do I get the ball joint out?!

I'm trying to remove the one that's in the lower control arm (which the axle housing sits on). I completely removed the control arm, axle housing, and the bar that runs diagonally back (is that a torsion bar?).

After some serious hammering and cussing I got the housing to come off the ball joint stud. Now I need to get the ball joint out of the control arm. I have one of those forked wedge ball joint separator tools, but that doesn't seem to be good for anything. I'm thnking this ball joint is just incredibly corroded into place. Any ideas?

If it's in the axle housing (steering knuckle), you can probably wedge a prybar where the fastener that holds the balljoint in place is located, to bust loose the corrosion.

It will come out. Use lots of penetrating oil, a large crescent wrench, or a hammer as needed.

good luck, John