Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

bad ball joints?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 teasdam

teasdam

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Eaton, CO

Posted 12 March 2004 - 11:05 AM

I'm in the process of replacing a halfshaft on my 1990 loyale with 180k miles on it. The tie rod end ball joint looks ok, but the one where the axle housing sits on the lower control arm is torn wide open. So I was thinking just replacing the torn one.

My question is this...are ball joints considered "bad" only when the rubber actually tears open? I had the thought that at 180k miles, it would be wise to change all the ball joints that I have access to while I'm in there.

#2 88xt6joe

88xt6joe

DA WEDGE

• Members
  • 358 posts
  • Boise

Posted 12 March 2004 - 01:32 PM

I just changed out both my axles on my 88 GL wagon and I put one new ball joint in because when I took the axle out if just fell apart. So just check and see if they are tight and if there are I would leave them in there if there loose change them out.

Joe

#3 thealleyboy

thealleyboy

Subaru Derelict

• Members
  • 2,079 posts
  • Bexley, OH

Posted 12 March 2004 - 02:04 PM

Teas:

If it were my car, I would do both sides.

Ball joints DO wear, even if the boot survives. Unless you have reason to believe the one "good" ball joint has been replaced recently, you may as well assume it has gone the full 185k on the car. Probably not much life left on that one either.

In general, I think it's best to do preventive maintenance on a "keeper" car, any time you have labor invested on a job where an opportunity to upgrade exists. In your case, you are looking at at a 20-30 part with virtually no additional labor.

A no brainer in my book...

good luck, John

#4 TomRhere

TomRhere

Certified BRAT nut!!!

• Members
  • 3,957 posts
  • Hillsdale, Mi. USA

Posted 13 March 2004 - 08:27 AM

It's one of those, "might-as-well" things. You're there changing the axle, have a possible bad ball-joint, so might as well do it now. Would also check the tie-rod ends while you're at it. Cost of new parts isn't very much, and the piece of mind is priceless.

#5 teasdam

teasdam

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Eaton, CO

Posted 15 March 2004 - 05:02 PM

ok, so now how in the world do I get the ball joint out?!

I'm trying to remove the one that's in the lower control arm (which the axle housing sits on). I completely removed the control arm, axle housing, and the bar that runs diagonally back (is that a torsion bar?).

After some serious hammering and cussing I got the housing to come off the ball joint stud. Now I need to get the ball joint out of the control arm. I have one of those forked wedge ball joint separator tools, but that doesn't seem to be good for anything. I'm thnking this ball joint is just incredibly corroded into place. Any ideas?

#6 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 15 March 2004 - 05:05 PM

The fork style should do the job - that's how I've removed the half a dozen that I've had the pleasure of doing. Pound the fork onto it with a hammer, and it will pop out.

GD

#7 teasdam

teasdam

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Eaton, CO

Posted 15 March 2004 - 05:05 PM

DOH! :o The fingers are quicker than the mind!

On second thought, I meant to say that the ball joint is still in the axle housing. It was the control arm that I hammered off.

In any case, same question...

#8 subiemech85

subiemech85

SIX STAR SERVICE

• Members
  • 2,710 posts
  • down by the river

Posted 15 March 2004 - 05:08 PM

lubejob, beat on the threads with the nut

#9 thealleyboy

thealleyboy

Subaru Derelict

• Members
  • 2,079 posts
  • Bexley, OH

Posted 15 March 2004 - 05:41 PM

If it's in the axle housing (steering knuckle), you can probably wedge a prybar where the fastener that holds the balljoint in place is located, to bust loose the corrosion.

It will come out. Use lots of penetrating oil, a large crescent wrench, or a hammer as needed.

good luck, John

#10 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 15 March 2004 - 06:16 PM

OOOHHH! That's different. Put the joint back into the control arm and thread the nut on to hold it. REMOVE the clamp bolt from the knuckle - don't just loosen it. Then use a prybar to get the knuckle off.

GD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users