Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 1985 Brat

6 Star

My Brat is from CA and OK so has no rust, but I've lived where cars rust, and if you have titles for those, please don't destroy them. They look too solid.

Bill

I would never conciously send a good subaru to the crusher. ;)

The DL is very rusty underneath, and the GL is about half as bad... Both cars have the front clip cut off, but there is a good front clip to put on one of them. Both have engines, but both do not run. If anything I will just take the parts I need and then pass the rest on to the next brat lover. Or I will take the parts I need, then morph the two brats together to make one runner. :D

Most likely I would use the orange GL as the base, It has less cancer.

Wow, that looks like quite a score there!

Yea buddy! I'm excited. :clap:

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Updates :clap:

I installed a new center console; so I have a new shifter ball, shift console, 4wd console, and ebrake/coin tray console. :D
Deffinately cleans up the middle of the car. :)

Before

428414_645686905448534_1862748360_n.jpg?

After

942056_645686928781865_842173416_n.jpg?o

The only downside is the leather around the shifter kinda gets in the way when going through the gears. There is some linkage slop in this baby :o kinda like driving a big manual tranny truck. :lol:
So that means I will have to tackle the linkage slop next, or just remove the leather. lol

Next will be a new radio console and radio. :D
Also, I realized that the only bad seat is the drivers seat. :-p
The passenger seat just has a few little stains, while the drivers side is held together by ductape. :lol:

Edited by 6 Star

SWEET

I'd been wanting to see inside my loved ea81 engine.

I've got one engine out of my blue Brat, here in my shed now.

Ready to research engine building from the airplane guys, and tear into mine see what I can do. I know with some porting and oversize valves, the airflow gain through the engine should be huge. I want to know what aftermarket pistons and camshaft are available, wondering if anything besides the simplest 100% flat-top piston like in your pics above could be better for HP?

..and also HP for boost, because I think 9:1 is the perfect compression ratio for a 200HP turbo ea81 motor. WRX 13T turbo probably just the correct size.

Yeah, my engine here is an awesome later-project of mine, I've got a handful of projects ahead of it I need to finish..

SWEET

I'd been wanting to see inside my loved ea81 engine.

I've got one engine out of my blue Brat, here in my shed now.

Ready to research engine building from the airplane guys, and tear into mine see what I can do. I know with some porting and oversize valves, the airflow gain through the engine should be huge. I want to know what aftermarket pistons and camshaft are available, wondering if anything besides the simplest 100% flat-top piston like in your pics above could be better for HP?

..and also HP for boost, because I think 9:1 is the perfect compression ratio for a 200HP turbo ea81 motor. WRX 13T turbo probably just the correct size.

Yeah, my engine here is an awesome later-project of mine, I've got a handful of projects ahead of it I need to finish..

I don't really know all the piston options out there, I had a shop order them because the same shop bored my piston sleeves. These were just the correct size for the now-larger-sleeves. Darn, I should have looked into that. :drunk:

Oh well, she has plenty of spunk as she is. :burnout:

Thanks for the pics. They have been a big help with assembling a motor that I've never seen before. Also, what is that brass colored sensor looking thing just to the left of your crank pulley. My motor doesn't have one.

Bill

You're welcome. :)

That brass thing is the power-cable-hookup for the block heater. :D

Keep my engine nice and toasty over the fridgid winter. :Flame:

I have the cord in the cab, just pull up closer to the house, grab an extension cord, and my baby stays nice and warm. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Updates! :D
When I bought my parts Brats, there just happened to be a blinker housing that fit my car. It was hiding in the bottom of one of the boxes of random parts lol. So I ordered a blinker lens from the dealer.

If you remember, my driver's side blinker was a fog light. The previous owner fabbed this all up. He drilled through the top of the bumper to screw in the fog lamp.
It was held in by skateboard hardware. :lol:

381715_331300693553825_722725394_n.jpg?o

Now it looks much better. :) I even mounted up the bar that Pooparu sold me. Now my front end is mostly complete. :banana:

428381_645687018781856_1676246066_n.jpg?

Edited by 6 Star

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thinking of some cheap radio options, got my speaker boxes and speaker wire ready to go. I also have the '86 wagon ready to get tore-into, which will become the daily. This will become a restoration project. :D

So many projects so little time. :-p

Edited by 6 Star

• 1 month later...

Been driving this thing with no issues whatsoever. :D

Straightened out the back bumper a bit, at least it sits the way it is supposed to now. :drunk:
I also cut off my sorry excuse for a muffler and just added straight pipe out.
My tailgate is still in poor condition. :( Looking for a replacement.

577672_472216306128929_898133123_n.jpg?o

^You can also just see the replacement for the blown muffler in this picture. Its just a bolted on extension of pipe.

I've got some cool plans in the works. I'm thinking of lowering her. :headbang:

How I'll do it;

Front:
KYB gr2 struts for a 2WD ea81 (because they are made for a lower ride height)
Some lowering springs off of a civic

Back:
Clock the torsion bars down

If anybody has any suggestions for a better way I am all ears, this is just some ideas I had pop into mind. As for lowering springs, I don't really know which kind I should get. Also, I have read all over the forum about clocking the torsion bars, but there hasn't been a thread showing how to do it.

I'm not looking for lowrider stance, just trying to get the tires to (appear to) almost touch the lip of the fenders.

Edited by 6 Star

is that photoshopped, or the actual results, because that looks sick!

Its pshopped lol. The wheels wouldn't have the positive camber still if it was truely lowered.

I need to fix my wagon first so I have something to drive when I get around to modifying the suspension on this.

I think it looks pretty sick as well. :headbang: Can't wait to get it done.

Its pshopped lol. The wheels wouldn't have the positive camber still if it was truely lowered.

I need to fix my wagon first so I have something to drive when I get around to modifying the suspension on this.

I think it looks pretty sick as well. :headbang: Can't wait to get it done.

Ahh now that you mention the camber I can tell. Mine will be about that low as well, maybe a bit higher due to the 15" wheels and larger tires I'm running. I'm going to try to figure out some rear coil overs, as I have fronts now. I need to get back on that, vw is taking up all my time :horse: What are you going to be using for civic springs? I need ideas for my FWD when the time comes :)

Rear coilovers would be sweet.

Theres a thread here where a guy made a bracket to swap on ea82 rear springs/struts.

He used them to help with a lift, but I bet they would help with lowering too.

I have a friend thats in the Hondur scene, so I'll talk to him about lowering springs.