Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '92 Landcruiser: Safariwagon-II

Maybe cause Toyota discovered that Automatics are just as good offroad as Manuals (Given you have the Torque) unlike an EA82 ;)

Well, part of it is that the US market wants autos over manuals...

But autos are arguably better offroad. You have a torque converter to multiply the torque to give you a lower gear essentially than a manual, you can creep slower over stuff. Starting after you've stopped on a really steep slippery hill isn't so bad, etc.

The only downside I can really see to an auto offroad is it's more complex and stuff like cooler lines to break, etc. Manuals can be pretty broken, but still work enough to get you off the trail, autos just stop working when they break.

It's still a landcruiser though, and I've always thought they are awesome.

Very true and well said.

Now if only is didn't cost $450/6mo to insure this thing I'd have it made. So now my total for insuring both Soobs and the Yoda will be about $1,000 every six months :eek: Going to need a 2nd job to pay back my parents, pay for this insurance and try to have money to live on Lol, life is grand. ;)

Very true and well said.

Now if only is didn't cost $450/6mo to insure this thing I'd have it made. So now my total for insuring both Soobs and the Yoda will be about $1,000 every six months :eek: Going to need a 2nd job to pay back my parents, pay for this insurance and try to have money to live on Lol, life is grand. ;)

Wow, that's steep on insurance for the yota!

Probably jacking the rates because it's a 4x4. I know where I live 4x4s have a much higher insurance because people think they're invincible when they push that button, go do stupid things, and crash :rolleyes:

...The only downside I can really see to an auto offroad is it's more complex and stuff like cooler lines to break, etc. Manuals can be pretty broken, but still work enough to get you off the trail, autos just stop working when they break...

Also: You can't Start an Automatic Car if your Battery / Starter \ Electric System breaks Down and you're Alone in the Middle of Nowhere... While in the Manuals you can Start 'em using a Downhill steep or by Pushing it.

Somehow Manuals are more Dependable.

Also I saw one time an automatic 4X4 Mazda Pick-Up that ran out of ATF Oil due to a Hose failure, one of the Hoses that send the ATF to the Radiator just Leaked... and that left all the passengers alone in the Dark.

Something alike is Hard to Happen on a Manual Trans.

Kind Regards.

Just took the truck for a 2 hour drive (Around the Kettle Moraine Forest) and WOW, its really starting to drive nice, downshifts very smooth now and the ticking has gone away, I think this thing just needed to be driven, it was sitting a month before I bought it, and who knows how long before that, and was it a lot of city driving? I'm starting to really enjoy it now!

I have new shocks coming (Rancho RS5000) for now, until I get the OME lift. I would love to get new tires before winter, so we'll see what happens with that ;)

0916111818.jpg

0916111819a.jpg

0916111827.jpg

0916111755.jpg

0916111810a.jpg

I have always kinda liked them, but had been told general maintenance parts are pricey, and used parts for anything are non existent, or if you find them too pricey to justify. My former boss in Denver had a nice Green one with gold trim and all the bells and whistles. Road very nice.

I have always kinda liked them, but had been told general maintenance parts are pricey, and used parts for anything are non existent, or if you find them too pricey to justify. My former boss in Denver had a nice Green one with gold trim and all the bells and whistles. Road very nice.

A lot have been told that general maintenance parts for these are costly, but the truth is, parts for this rig are cheeper then most for a Subaru Legacy, no bull either! I was shocked.

Jon, the reason I bought a Toyota Vs. a Wrangler or Cherokee is I wanted a big Toyota with 3rd row seating, this was one of the most capable vehicles of the '90s and has been since they came out in the 50s.

Solid front/rear axles, 3-link front, 5-link rear, front/rear LSDs, Center Diff Lock. Stick some 33x10.5 BFG KM2s on this rig and its set.

Yeah, my friend loves his '96

P1020612.JPGP1020613.JPGP1020614.JPG

But it sounds like (from page 2/3) you're already missing the ease and simplicity of your subie's engineering

BUT there is something to be said for torque, lockers and LOW gears :rolleyes:

Ya know, I got into this thinking it would be similar to a Subaru (From an engineering standpoint) in a few ways it is, but in a lot, its a completely different animal. I'm starting to really dig it, it just takes a little to get used to when working on it, its better then working on an S-10 Blazer though ;)

Your buddies truck looks great, gotta hand it off to those KM2s!

One thing that I kinda dislike is, the Landcrusier forum (ih8tmud.com) isn't all that friendly, and its still hard to find little things I need for this truck (Some interior pieces) Like the winder switch bezels for the passenger doors and a fuse box dash cover.

Your buddies truck looks great, gotta hand it off to those KM2s!

One thing that I kinda dislike is, the Landcrusier forum (ih8tmud.com) isn't all that friendly, and its still hard to find little things I need for this truck (Some interior pieces) Like the winder switch bezels for the passenger doors and a fuse box dash cover.

Not sure what KM2s are, but I'm sure he says thanks!

I think he has a (kind of non-standard) 4" lift with 33's.

I'll get the links to his favorite forums for you, but here's on he likes, and it's a Forester build from a cruiser guy!

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/55509-Forester-ExPo-Subaru-Project

Not sure what KM2s are, but I'm sure he says thanks!

I think he has a (kind of non-standard) 4" lift with 33's.

I'll get the links to his favorite forums for you, but here's on he likes, and it's a Forester build from a cruiser guy!

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/55509-Forester-ExPo-Subaru-Project

KM2s are a Mud-Terrain tire made by BFGoodrich which replaced the original KM-Mud Terrains.

Thanks for the link! Will check out.

I have a Friend here, who is the President of one of our Local 4X4 / Mountain Mud Track Clubs; he mades a Special Lift for those Land Cruisers, he also Drives a very tall one (a Li'l bit Older than Yours) I'll ask him if he lets me Take Photos of his Wagon and information about his Lifting procedure, so I can post 'em here.

Maybe that can Help you.

Kind Regards.

I have a Friend here, who is the President of one of our Local 4X4 / Mountain Mud Track Clubs; he mades a Special Lift for those Land Cruisers, he also Drives a very tall one (a Li'l bit Older than Yours) I'll ask him if he lets me Take Photos of his Wagon and information about his Lifting procedure, so I can post 'em here.

Maybe that can Help you.

Kind Regards.

That would be kind of you, tell him thanks!

Well, I went to a Pilot/Flying-J's truckstop in search of some new side markers, found a nice set that will look BOSS on the Toyota! I just need to tap into thr 12V and ground it out and she'll be good to go. LEDs FTW.