Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '92 Landcruiser: Safariwagon-II

Lookin' good!!

What are your lift plans? How high do you want to go... My friend (with the 96) went 4" and 6" is kind of the standard... well out west at least..

Anhoo he mentions weird castor issues going 4" or higher, and weird lateral axle shifting to fix... something about as you go up, the rear axle shifts sideways. . . .

Anyhoo he sends this link for your educational pleasure

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/

He has a uniden 510 (I think the newer 520 is the same size) CB in his ashtray slot! Perfect fit in his 96, but I think they changed the tray in 93 so it might not work for you... :mad:

Thanks for the encouragement, Yeah, I've heard about Caster issues and such. I would like to go with the 3" Old Man Emu lift (Come with longer HD shocks and longer Springs along with spaces for the links to keep stock caster)

My ultimate goal would be, 3" lift, 33x10.5x15 OR 33x12.5x15 BFGoodrich KM2s. Steel Expedition Basket, Lights, Spare tire onto Vs. under the truck, maybe add a Snorkel for shiggles.

5000k HID swap for Low and High-beams and random other goodness.

Just placed an order with Superbrightleds.com for two High Power SSL Futon bulbs to replace both Dome lights. I ordered them in the "Warm White" Vs. the "Cool White" which I have put in both Subarus.

I am also thinking of adding under-dash floor lights at some point, Blue will work nicely (I've done that in the Loyale)

I am also thinking of adding under-dash floor lights at some point, Blue will work nicely (I've done that in the Loyale)

haha I've always done that on a lot of my cars. The blue looks nice though, on my truck i'm thinking of a soft white. driving without the under dash lights just seems weird.

-Justin

I just bought a set of 35w 5000k Bi-xenon HIDs for the Low beams on the Toyota. I am also going to swap out the high-beams when I get more money.

Getting to the bulbs on this thing is kinda PITA, for the driver side, you need to remove the engine bay cooling fan (Yes it has a cooling fan for the engine bay that blows onto the Intake) and for the passenger side, you need to remove the battery. Now if I can find a place for these thin ballasts we're in luck!

On another note, I painted the center console lid and the rear view mirror semi-gloss black (Rustolium truck bead liner) looks much better and works well with the interior.

Since I went to the junkyard to get a filler tube for the Legacy, I also picked up a pair of horns from a '98 Infinity i30, I swapped them in, and they sound much better then the stock horns of the Toyota.

I also got my set of HP-LEDs from superbrightleds.com, both dome lights have been changed out with the "Warm White HP" and wow, the interior just glows now! Its really a "Pure/paper white" Vs. "Warm White" very nice!

I have also discovered why the passenger side front spring makes so much noise over bumps, someone moved it and it is now seated right on the perch, will to compress it and drop the axle a little to turn it back into position.

I looked at several of those but eventually went with a 97 4runner with rear locker... I love the land cruisers but 10 mpg is too rich for my blood. The truth is Toyota makes very torquie 6 cyls. but they are all gas hogs.

OME is a great option... I have a mild lift,love the ride and yes, Toyota makes a great truck... Just past 200k earlier this month on a hunting trip above the arctic circle and the engine just purrs at 75mph... Very quiet.

It is a totally different beast then my brat... I'm looking to park my Brat this winter and do a similar build as your Loyal... I just need to figure out what to do for 14's (they're hard to find)

Enjoy your Toyota...

I just bought a set of 35w 5000k Bi-xenon HIDs for the Low beams on the Toyota. I am also going to swap out the high-beams when I get more money.

Getting to the bulbs on this thing is kinda PITA, for the driver side, you need to remove the engine bay cooling fan (Yes it has a cooling fan for the engine bay that blows onto the Intake) and for the passenger side, you need to remove the battery. Now if I can find a place for these thin ballasts we're in luck!

:lol: You just don't listen at all do you? :lol: Maybe they are a PITA because you aren't suppose to replace them with HID's! *sigh* Guess you can't fix stupid... Oh, and for the record and anyone reading this, HID's "conversions" ARE BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD!!! Look it up, on here and google. General feeling for them is that they are BAD, and HARMFUL to other drivers, even when they are adjusted properly. Especially in a vehicle that is already tall to begin with. *sigh* I guess other people really don't matter to you Tom, since you keep getting HID's, AND you have been told why/how they are bad, but you just ignore that advice.

Oh, and I will ALWAYS give you crap, and anyone else crap, whenever I hear that dreaded term "HID Conversion" and Car in the same sentence!!! And just for fun, here's the link explaining why:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

Have you read that yet Tom? You really should. Seriously.

That console turned out nice!

Your fuel mileage probably isn't accurate with only driven a few miles. I can get my Yukon to get 17mpg too, but over a couple of 30 gallon tank fulls it's more like 12-14mpg. When I first bought my Loyale I filled back up after 50 miles and it made 42mpg and I was ecstatic, but after a couple full tank runs, it was more like 28mpg.

Toyota Landcruiser make North Americans drool

28355.jpg

OK, not all North Americans drool at the sight of a Toyota Landcruiser, but a certain subset of the 4X4 driving public certainly does. And to think that right now, in lands far from these shores, brand new Toyota Landcruiser 70 Series Turbo Diesel 4x4s can still be purchased for about $35,000 dollars, well, it makes some of us drool.

But down in Australia, you can still buy classic Landcruiser 70 series--albeit powered by an earth shaking V8 turbo diesel engine--that are about as trail and expedition ready as any 4x4 needs to be.

While I don't expect to get to Australia anytime soon, nor would I have that kind of change to spend if I did, it's nice to know that somewhere Toyota Landcruiser 70-Series are still being manufactured and sold.

http://www.toyota.com.au/landcruiser-70-series#range

Sure beats our $70,000 Luxury Landcruiser!

The weight of that beast + AWD + under powered (though tourqy) straight 6 will not return that type of mileage.

My 97, 3.4 V6, in 2wd returns 16-19.5... Less in 4wd.

Like he said... Check mileage after a full tank. I think you'll find much closer to 12-13mpg:mad:

But hey... That's why we have these awesome little subsides right!:banana:

Edited by tundrabrat

The results were from a full tank, I put 85 miles on it in one day, filled it up today as it was at 3/4 tank and did the math.

Why couldn't this rig get close to 17mpg? Our 2001 Ram 2500 5.9 Magnum V8 gets about 19mpg and thats closer to 7,000lbs Vs. the Landcruisers 4,200lbs.

I will say though, with its 25gal tank, it sure is a gas hog Lol! Its not really underpowered, its quicker then either of my Subarus, plus it has the torque to get you up to 60 pretty quick, Slow revving Inline-6 FTW ;)