Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '92 Landcruiser: Safariwagon-II

It's looking good!

But you can't use HIDs on the high beams when it's a two light system like that. Constantly flicking the HID bulbs on and off will kill them in very, very short order.

Yeah, I was kinda wondering about that. Since the HIDs take time to warm up, the full brightness of the "Brights" wouldn't be instantaneous.

But, what does Acura, BMW or Mercedes have? Since most of them run HIDs.

Maybe I'll run Silverstar ultras for the Highbeams.

One other concern, do your low beam lamps turn off when you turn on the high beams? because that's going to ruin your low beam HIDs, you need to wire the low beams to always be on. Probably as easy as grounding the switched negative on the low beam. That way the low beam HIDs aren't always going on and off.

The expensive cars you speak of use a bi-xenon projector. A projector that has a movable shudder on a solenoid that goes down when it's on low beams, and comes up to un-shudder the output for the high-beams. This way the lamp is always on.

That is the CORRECT way to use HIDs...

Or, some of them have a projector for the low beams, and just a regular reflector for the high beam with a halogen. The low beam is still always on though. This is how the JDM lights work in my legacy.

Edited by 987687

Nope, the Low beams stay on all the time (Qaud-Beams baby!)

So, this kit is "Supposedly" a bi-xenon kit. I know with both of the Subarus(Since High/low are in one bulb) the Bulb its self moves in and out via a relay when you use the Highbeams to reposition the lights beam.

So if I have this understood correctly, one the higher end cars (With proper HID/projector set up) the High beam bulbs are always on, but are only uncovered (So to speak) when you flick the switch?

Yes, there's a shudder in the projector at the focal point of the beam that moves up and down. When it's down it makes that nice sharp cut offline for the low beams. When you flick the high beams on it lifts the shudder allowing the light to spew all over the place and light the whole road.

The ones that move in and out for H4 and similar bulbs are sort of a terrible hack, IMO.

I must say though, Toyota did make a good headlamp design on the Landcruiser, it projects very well (Unlike the EA82s lol) With the HID low beams and the Standard High beams on, it lights up everything, both sides of the road (Well into the ditch) and elluminate very far and high down the road. Its like day light with all four on. Great for seeing Deer!

Edited by TheLoyale

Yes, there's a shudder in the projector at the focal point of the beam that moves up and down. When it's down it makes that nice sharp cut offline for the low beams. When you flick the high beams on it lifts the shudder allowing the light to spew all over the place and light the whole road.

The ones that move in and out for H4 and similar bulbs are sort of a terrible hack, IMO.

Ok, I get it now. Thanks!

Yeah, I know what you mean lol.

Careful leaving your HIDs on.

When you start the car with the HIDs on, they sometimes will only turn 1 light on.

I have this on NED all the time and my buddies Impreza does it too.

Both have 6000K HID bulbs in them. You can usually flick them on and off a few times after starting the car and itll work just fine.

I plan to do Turbones conversion in mine though :brow:

Careful leaving your HIDs on.

When you start the car with the HIDs on, they sometimes will only turn 1 light on.

I have this on NED all the time and my buddies Impreza does it too.

Both have 6000K HID bulbs in them. You can usually flick them on and off a few times after starting the car and itll work just fine.

I plan to do Turbones conversion in mine though :brow:

I've heard about, and seen this problem. But I have 6k DDM HID kit in my JDM projectors and never have this...

Actually though, I'm working on the wiring design so lights and that high power stuff won't turn on until the alternator is outputting. Not for saving my HIDs, but more so when it's -20deg in the winter my car actually starts when I forget to switch everything off.

With the Toyota, the Lights are always hot. So leaving them on is not an option. I never leave my lights on anyway (Why have more stuff run off the 12v during start up then needed?)

But I have left then on while starting more then once, never had an issue with only on firing up, Sounds like a ballast issue to me.

How are HIDs in winter? Does it take then longer to warm up and reach full brightness, or no? It takes about 10sec for mine to become fully bright.

The difference in warm up time isn't much, and offset by the fact that you should let your car warm up for a couple minutes when it's that cold out anyway.

Yeah, thats true (Doh, Kinda forgot the cars gonna be warming up in winter)

This might help warm that engine up quicker.... :Flame:

If not, we can always make :popcorn:

• 3 weeks later...

Ive got to admit, since youve bought this ive started looking at them. Though awesome and very capable vehicles i dont know how you can stand the gas mpg. I mean i like v8s but the mpg is bad. But what you have is even worse then any v8 ive ever owned. I would of considered getting one if they didnt say the average one gets 8mpg. Thats awful

My friend gets 12ish in his 4" lifted 96 cruiser (with the in-line 6... the 8's came out the following year/model change) for what that's worth, but I hear ya on the MPG.. I mean I'm rolling around 22-26 :o

BUT it's no rock crawling yota, but pretty capable for a car that I drive enough to appreciate 26 mpg..

AND, you should check out the NEW cruiser being released in, go figure of coarse, Australia... the Toyota advertisements say it's for people who abuse their trucks... or something like that!

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/11/toyota-releases-extra-tough-land-cruiser-gx-for-australia/

http://www.egmcartech.com/2011/11/12/australia-gets-extra-tough-toyota-land-cruiser-gx/

AWESOME!!!

My friend gets 12ish in his 4" lifted 96 cruiser (with the in-line 6... the 8's came out the following year/model change) for what that's worth, but I hear ya on the MPG.. I mean I'm rolling around 22-26 :o

BUT it's no rock crawling yota, but pretty capable for a car that I drive enough to appreciate 26 mpg..

AND, you should check out the NEW cruiser being released in, go figure of coarse, Australia... the Toyota advertisements say it's for people who abuse their trucks... or something like that!

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/11/toyota-releases-extra-tough-land-cruiser-gx-for-australia/

http://www.egmcartech.com/2011/11/12/australia-gets-extra-tough-toyota-land-cruiser-gx/

AWESOME!!!

priceless....

$78,000 that is more than my house cost