Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '92 Landcruiser: Safariwagon-II

Some advice for others who plan to swap springs/shocks. In order to lower the axle enough to remove the stock springs, you will need to remove the 6 12mm bolts which retain the Brake line to the axle to gain more slack in the soft line that runs to the frame. Other wise you will over stress it and possibly rip it. You will also want to drop the Swaybar mounts enough so the Drive shaft doesn't get hung up while lowering the Axle.

Also, if you plan to do this without using a vehicle lift, you will need two 3-ton Jacks to raise and lower the axle evenly, and a pair of 12-ton Jackstands (Or at least a jackstand that has a total length 30" inches) to place under the front frame rails (Where the toe hooks are)

This went a lot easier then I had in mind, but once you unbolt the stocks and start to lower the axle, its all a cake walk after that!

Tools I used so Far:

Pair of 3-Ton Standard Jacks

Pair of 12-ton Jackstands (HF)

HF Electric Impact Wrench

1/2 drive Ratchet and Extensions

1/4 drive Ratchet

10mm 12mm 17mm 19mm 21mm Sockets

Few pictures of the front install.

2012_0112AA.jpg

2012_0112AC.jpg

2012_0112AE.jpg

2012_0112AF.jpg

2012_0112AG.jpg

2012_0112AI.jpg

2012_0112AK.jpg

2012_0112AL.jpg

2012_0112AN.jpg

2012_0112AO.jpg

2012_0112AQ.jpg

2012_0112AR.jpg

2012_0112AT.jpg

2012_0112AU.jpg

2012_0112AV.jpg

NICE and quick... Did you ever chat with my buddy on the LC forums? I think he suggested tire siping those MTs (I now know you can't get it done locally), etc. but he's got good beta on lifting, and how the rear end shifts laterally, and how you might have to shave clearance for the front sway bar, etc. etc.

(I don't remember all the specifics but I know there's is some stuff you may encounter and need to deal with)

Maybe that's b/c he went custom 4" though. . .

Either way, nice job, sweet turn around and direction on this one.

Because a 12T harbor freight jack stand is actually only good for 3...?

I need a jackstand that will rise over 30" to support the frame while the axle(s) drop. But yes, I'm sure a 3-ton HF Jackstand is only good for half that :drunk:

NICE and quick... Did you ever chat with my buddy on the LC forums? I think he suggested tire siping those MTs (I now know you can't get it done locally), etc. but he's got good beta on lifting, and how the rear end shifts laterally, and how you might have to shave clearance for the front sway bar, etc. etc.

(I don't remember all the specifics but I know there's is some stuff you may encounter and need to deal with)

Maybe that's b/c he went custom 4" though. . .

Either way, nice job, sweet turn around and direction on this one.

I might have ran into him on ih8mud, don't remember. Some dude with an FJ80 added me as a FB friend lol. As for you buddies lift, Is he running more then just springs and Shocks? After 4" you will need to add spacer blocks to lower the rear most points of the front swaybar (To avoid running into the Driveshaft under flex) along with dropping the rear swaybar, longer soft line from axle to frame junction box, longer diff breathers, Might have to change pan-hard and lower links and then you will also need to use the Caster correction bushings. Sleeoffroad is the way to go with Toyota lift kits, they provide everything you need and they know "EVERYTHING" you could ask.

Pictures to come next.

$3,900 for the truck. $1,000 for tires, $900 for OME Suspension, $200 in tuneup/etc. $30 for JDM Corners and Blinkers.

I like that rig very much... So much in fact that I'm actually going to start the hunt sometime after my Loyale project is done.

Curiosity, ballpark how much are you into this thing??

Spencer

$3,900 for the truck. $1,000 for tires, $900 for OME Suspension, $200 in tuneup/etc. $30 for JDM Corners and Blinkers.

That's very reasonable for what you've got. I have almost that into my 84 single cab pickup and I think your rig is cooler.......

That's very reasonable for what you've got. I have almost that into my 84 single cab pickup and I think your rig is cooler.......

'84 Hilux? Oh wow nice! 22R? My mom dad an '88 22RE 5spd (Nice lift)

Brent, I don't think it'll tuck up under there to good, it might though. Need an ARB bumper/swing arm!

'84 Hilux? Oh wow nice! 22R? My mom dad an '88 22RE 5spd (Nice lift)

Ya, 22RE! (swapped), there's a thread on here about it in the non-soob offroad. I'll be updating it as I progress. I've read your whole thread and really admire your work with this rig. It's the "closest" I've been to one of these now (thanks for the pics!), and pretty much my mind is made up about owning one. Just a matter of when I suppose.

Yeah i h8mud sounds familiar. Probly the only 80 from Moab there ;)

Yeah he custom built the blocks and caster correction, etc. etc. Kind of a pain but he got that figured out, for a little less than a complete pre-fab 4" kit. Thing is (out west at least) most people go 6" and he didn't want to go that big, so he got springs and figured the rest out...

But sounds like you got all the weird stuff figured out, and your milder lift probably doesn't have as many of those issues to deal with.

'T looks good man!

I might have ran into him on ih8mud, don't remember. Some dude with an FJ80 added me as a FB friend lol. As for you buddies lift, Is he running more then just springs and Shocks? After 4" you will need to add spacer blocks to lower the rear most points of the front swaybar (To avoid running into the Driveshaft under flex) along with dropping the rear swaybar, longer soft line from axle to frame junction box, longer diff breathers, Might have to change pan-hard and lower links and then you will also need to use the Caster correction bushings. Sleeoffroad is the way to go with Toyota lift kits, they provide everything you need and they know "EVERYTHING" you could ask.

Pictures to come next.

'91-'92 FJ80 with the 3F-E and A440 trans is kinda what you'd want. Doesn't have the locking diffs, but the 4.0 is way better than the DOHC 4.5 1FZ-FE, as they tend to have HG issues, and use a timing chain. The 3F-E have Timing gears (Like a EA81) Bullet proof :)

I would checkout ih8mud.com and read up about them, pros/cons, what to expect, what to look for ect...

-Tom

Ya, 22RE! (swapped), there's a thread on here about it in the non-soob offroad. I'll be updating it as I progress. I've read your whole thread and really admire your work with this rig. It's the "closest" I've been to one of these now (thanks for the pics!), and pretty much my mind is made up about owning one. Just a matter of when I suppose.