Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Wagonstien taking fully independent suspension to the next level

• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

#51 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,405 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 21 September 2011 - 09:48 PM

Ahh, different shocks.right.I knew that earlier description didna sound right..

At that point your basically treating it like sheet metal and doing spot welds.WITH complete cooldown inbetween..

Would work well if you find the right balance of springs.Fronts a skosch different since your dealing with the engine weight...
cheers

#52 Ioku

Ioku

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Bend

Posted 22 September 2011 - 12:29 AM

So I clearanced out the upper pivot points so I could get more up travel out of it and I now have 10 inches of travel at the hub. here's a pic of drivers at full droop and pass a full compression.

Posted Image

And this is the area thats limiting any more up travel still need to decide if I want to to anything about it.

Posted Image

#53 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,405 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:48 AM

in relation to the upper arm it only looks to be about 5=6 inches of travel.That saves money on shocks!:)

#54 bigo1966

bigo1966

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 463 posts
  • Lafayette, Colorado

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:30 PM

When welding the shocks I welded very low on the shock and where I knew the incert was welded in the tube. Tacked and cooled in water tacked and cooled. So on.

#55 maozebong

maozebong

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 273 posts
  • Seattle, WA

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:55 PM

or you could do inboard shock mounting :D

there sure is enough room for it where the spare is.

#56 Ioku

Ioku

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Bend

Posted 23 September 2011 - 11:41 PM

in relation to the upper arm it only looks to be about 5=6 inches of travel.That saves money on shocks!:)

Yep I measured the travel at the point I plan to mount the shock and its just a little over 6 inches, So back to the pick and pull to get some shocks to play with.

#57 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,405 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 24 September 2011 - 08:37 PM

or you could do inboard shock mounting :D

there sure is enough room for it where the spare is.

thats not entirely possible without building an entire front subframe.due to mounting issues up top, and the fact he has no spare tire well:grin:It's a lego....
cheers

#58 Dylan

Dylan

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • the south

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:06 PM

Cheap, long travel coil overs. and easy to make really.

Yikes! I hope that's going on a golf cart instead of a car.

#59 bratman18

bratman18

ADIDASubarus

• Members
  • 3,457 posts
  • Jefferson, Maine

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:36 PM

Yikes! I hope that's going on a golf cart instead of a car.

Actually, he had this set up, or similar on the car he built

#60 Dylan

Dylan

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • the south

Posted 25 September 2011 - 12:01 AM

Actually, he had this set up, or similar on the car he built

...and that's supposed to make it okay?

He took a basic shock absorber, welded to it and is using it to support the full weight of the vehicle.

#61 bratman18

bratman18

ADIDASubarus

• Members
  • 3,457 posts
  • Jefferson, Maine

Posted 25 September 2011 - 07:07 AM

He took a basic shock absorber, welded to it and is using it to support the full weight of the vehicle.

Evidently you haven't looked at many of the builds on here, or any forum for that matter.

#62 Dylan

Dylan

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • the south

Posted 25 September 2011 - 12:36 PM

Evidently you haven't looked at many of the builds on here, or any forum for that matter.

I've seen some sketchy stuff here (like this homemade suspension build), but that's dangerous.

#63 bratman18

bratman18

ADIDASubarus

• Members
  • 3,457 posts
  • Jefferson, Maine

Posted 25 September 2011 - 01:51 PM

I've seen some sketchy stuff here (like this homemade suspension build), but that's dangerous.

Huh

#64 Ioku

Ioku

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Bend

Posted 25 September 2011 - 06:20 PM

how is that any different than the stock rear shock, its really nothing more than a basic shock with a spring perch on it.

Also I don't see whats sketchy or unsafe about my set up, between the tubing metal and hardware I'm using its likely 5 times stronger than the stock stuff. Just because we don't have Engineering degrees and aren't using computers and complicated math doesn't make it unsafe.

#65 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,405 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 25 September 2011 - 06:34 PM

how is that any different than the stock rear shock, its really nothing more than a basic shock with a spring perch on it.

Also I don't see whats sketchy or unsafe about my set up, between the tubing metal and hardware I'm using its likely 5 times stronger than the stock stuff. Just because we don't have Engineering degrees and aren't using computers and complicated math doesn't make it unsafe.

eggzachary,(what he^ said) i have seen WAY more sketch from all over these here interwebs....cheers

#66 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,614 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 25 September 2011 - 06:58 PM

So here's a noobish question then. Do the 2" and 4" lifts by, say, SJR create alot of bump steer problems when you are daily driving? As I understand it (limited knowledge of lifting at this point...) those kits are technically just body lifts. When I get around to mildly lifting my wagon, I really don't want to have to fiddle with geometry and still want a decent in-town/highway driveability.

my kits are 1" over stock so a 4" lift has 3" engine crossmember block , except on the EA81 a 4" lift is 4" all around

I like your ideas will be watching progress and Interested what works in the real world

#67 jbbvw

jbbvw

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 26 September 2011 - 12:34 AM

This build looks awesome!!:clap: I've been thinking of doing a similar one but with a EA81 body. Keep up the good work. You've got me inspired.

Jesse

#68 Uberoo

Uberoo

Subaru Wheeler

• Members
  • 3,393 posts
  • lewiston,ID

Posted 26 September 2011 - 10:38 AM

its alot less sketch than welding blocks to the leaf spring mounts like some people do to lift there truck...

#69 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,991 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:54 PM

false. Nothing wrong with it. Besides, even IF it were to fail, what's the worst that could happen? It's not a strut, it has nothing to do with the alignment. If that lower spring perch broke, the spring would move about an inch or 2 and rest on the trailing arm, and the car would be just fine. It'd make some racket, but certainly not dangerous.

#70 bratman18

bratman18

ADIDASubarus

• Members
  • 3,457 posts
  • Jefferson, Maine

Posted 27 September 2011 - 04:32 AM

false. Nothing wrong with it. Besides, even IF it were to fail, what's the worst that could happen? It's not a strut, it has nothing to do with the alignment. If that lower spring perch broke, the spring would move about an inch or 2 and rest on the trailing arm, and the car would be just fine. It'd make some racket, but certainly not dangerous.

Thanks guys.

#71 Dylan

Dylan

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • the south

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:41 AM

its alot less sketch than welding blocks to the leaf spring mounts like some people do to lift there truck...

Umm no its not. There are thousands of trucks on the road with blocks and quite a few of them are welded to the spring perch.

That's not even an equal comparison? That shock wasn't designed to last more than a few years and wasn't supposed to carry a load. I suspect that the upper coil mount will rip the shock to pieces on a good bump if the top shock mount doesn't break/bend first.

#72 bigo1966

bigo1966

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 463 posts
  • Lafayette, Colorado

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:52 AM

The web wheelers are out and cranky......Keep up the work and don't listen to the haters. They are just jealous. And BTW my home made coil overs work excellent.

Edited by bigo1966, 27 September 2011 - 10:54 AM.

#73 maozebong

maozebong

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 273 posts
  • Seattle, WA

Posted 27 September 2011 - 02:14 PM

Umm no its not. There are thousands of trucks on the road with blocks and quite a few of them are welded to the spring perch.

That's not even an equal comparison? That shock wasn't designed to last more than a few years and wasn't supposed to carry a load. I suspect that the upper coil mount will rip the shock to pieces on a good bump if the top shock mount doesn't break/bend first.

a coilover shock not designed to handle a load? yer off your rocker. providing its mounting points are radially loaded and not side loaded its going to be fine, especially since he went to a SLA front suspension.

and anyways, if it does break, his wheel will still be on the car, buried in the wheel well.... not rolled over in a firey death wreck. at least somebody is going and seeing what works in the real world. without people like him, we would never have the legendary 2" block lift that is tried, true, yet frequently called sketchy.

#74 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,405 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 27 September 2011 - 05:06 PM

any progress with the shocks/coilovers?

#75 Ioku

Ioku

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Bend

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:51 PM

No, I still need to get some shocks, I think I'm just going to order some ranchos I've been looking through there catalog to find the right one with the right stroke and attachment points I need.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users