Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wagonstien taking fully independent suspension to the next level

Ioku

Ahh, different shocks.right.I knew that earlier description didna sound right..

At that point your basically treating it like sheet metal and doing spot welds.WITH complete cooldown inbetween..

Would work well if you find the right balance of springs.Fronts a skosch different since your dealing with the engine weight...

cheers

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I clearanced out the upper pivot points so I could get more up travel out of it and I now have 10 inches of travel at the hub. here's a pic of drivers at full droop and pass a full compression.

DSCF0232.jpg

And this is the area thats limiting any more up travel still need to decide if I want to to anything about it.

DSCF0233.jpg

in relation to the upper arm it only looks to be about 5=6 inches of travel.That saves money on shocks!:)

Yep I measured the travel at the point I plan to mount the shock and its just a little over 6 inches, So back to the pick and pull to get some shocks to play with.

...and that's supposed to make it okay?

He took a basic shock absorber, welded to it and is using it to support the full weight of the vehicle.

how is that any different than the stock rear shock, its really nothing more than a basic shock with a spring perch on it.

Also I don't see whats sketchy or unsafe about my set up, between the tubing metal and hardware I'm using its likely 5 times stronger than the stock stuff. Just because we don't have Engineering degrees and aren't using computers and complicated math doesn't make it unsafe.

how is that any different than the stock rear shock, its really nothing more than a basic shock with a spring perch on it.

Also I don't see whats sketchy or unsafe about my set up, between the tubing metal and hardware I'm using its likely 5 times stronger than the stock stuff. Just because we don't have Engineering degrees and aren't using computers and complicated math doesn't make it unsafe.

eggzachary,(what he^ said) i have seen WAY more sketch from all over these here interwebs....cheers

So here's a noobish question then. Do the 2" and 4" lifts by, say, SJR create alot of bump steer problems when you are daily driving? As I understand it (limited knowledge of lifting at this point...) those kits are technically just body lifts. When I get around to mildly lifting my wagon, I really don't want to have to fiddle with geometry and still want a decent in-town/highway driveability.

my kits are 1" over stock so a 4" lift has 3" engine crossmember block , except on the EA81 a 4" lift is 4" all around

I like your ideas will be watching progress and Interested what works in the real world

I've seen some sketchy stuff here (like this homemade suspension build), but that's dangerous.

false. Nothing wrong with it. Besides, even IF it were to fail, what's the worst that could happen? It's not a strut, it has nothing to do with the alignment. If that lower spring perch broke, the spring would move about an inch or 2 and rest on the trailing arm, and the car would be just fine. It'd make some racket, but certainly not dangerous.

false. Nothing wrong with it. Besides, even IF it were to fail, what's the worst that could happen? It's not a strut, it has nothing to do with the alignment. If that lower spring perch broke, the spring would move about an inch or 2 and rest on the trailing arm, and the car would be just fine. It'd make some racket, but certainly not dangerous.

Thanks guys.

its alot less sketch than welding blocks to the leaf spring mounts like some people do to lift there truck...

Umm no its not. There are thousands of trucks on the road with blocks and quite a few of them are welded to the spring perch.

That's not even an equal comparison? That shock wasn't designed to last more than a few years and wasn't supposed to carry a load. I suspect that the upper coil mount will rip the shock to pieces on a good bump if the top shock mount doesn't break/bend first.

Umm no its not. There are thousands of trucks on the road with blocks and quite a few of them are welded to the spring perch.

That's not even an equal comparison? That shock wasn't designed to last more than a few years and wasn't supposed to carry a load. I suspect that the upper coil mount will rip the shock to pieces on a good bump if the top shock mount doesn't break/bend first.

a coilover shock not designed to handle a load? yer off your rocker. providing its mounting points are radially loaded and not side loaded its going to be fine, especially since he went to a SLA front suspension.

and anyways, if it does break, his wheel will still be on the car, buried in the wheel well.... not rolled over in a firey death wreck. at least somebody is going and seeing what works in the real world. without people like him, we would never have the legendary 2" block lift that is tried, true, yet frequently called sketchy.