Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wagonstien taking fully independent suspension to the next level

Ioku

So I got one coilover built, I used Rancho RS5000's and bigo1966's fence post sleeving trick, is 2 and 3/8 inch fence post bty, and for the lower spring perch I used some 3/8 wall tube that happened to be a nice fit around the post material.

DSCF0235.jpg

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the upper black spring is just a stock ea82 rear spring and the blue spring is off some lowering set up that came on one of my Impreza's.

both probably stiffer than you'll need, but might work out OK. 2.5" springs are easy to come by if you want to change it up.

Yeah I have know idea what the spring rates are on ether of the springs and I'd like to have a bit softer spring to replace the stock one, but they were free so I'll start with this and then work on fine tuning it after I have it running.

• 2 weeks later...

farnsworth.jpg Good news everybody, I finally finished my crazy front suspension I've been working on.

Custom Coilovers

DSCF0236.jpg

DSCF0238.jpg

All installed with outback brakes

DSCF0239.jpg

DSCF0241.jpg

Also braced and reinforced the strut towers

DSCF0240.jpg

On some temp wheels and tires till I get some 31's and something with more offset.

DSCF0242.jpg

DSCF0243.jpg

I've seen those locking tube ends or whatever there called on some desert race trucks that have so much caging around the engine that without them you couldn't even get it out. But that bar I have on there is far enough back that getting the engine in wont be a problem.

As for the spring rates, I'm not sure, the black spring is a stock ea82 rear spring and the blue one came with some coilover set that came on one of my Imprezas.

Very nice. :)

You'll be able to fine tune the springs once you get it together. Those Impreza springs look to be a standard adjustable coilover kit size. So there should be quite the catalog of rates/lengths to play with when the time comes.

But who knows, it could very well work out to be just right.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got some work done on the rear suspension, Built a new rear crossmember thats moved forward about 4 inches so the control arms can be longer.

DSCF0334.jpg

DSCF0342.jpg

also built a new rear diff mount to accommodate the 3 inch diff drop

DSCF0340.jpg

Next mocking up and building the rear arms.

DSCF0344.jpg

DSCF0347.jpg

Also messed around with some ideas for a paint job.

DSCF0339.jpg

Have you thought about doing something angled on the rear, either inboard or tilted forward? Been tossing around the idea of getting mine angled forward at the top to get more travel and a bit softer ride. I need better articulation badly.

• 1 month later...

Been awhile sense a update, but been busy with work, helping friends with there projects, and all the holiday crap, But finally got a chance to make some progress on the rear suspension.

Got the new longer and stronger arms built, now I need to built another set of coilovers.

And looks like I can get about 12 inches of travel out of the rear.

DSCF0351.jpg

DSCF0352.jpg

DSCF0349.jpg

DSCF0350.jpg