Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wagonstien taking fully independent suspension to the next level

Ioku

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

And the bad news, It didn't really turn out like planned, its too loud and don't drive well on the road it was all over the place on the packed snow and ice almost imposible to control at over 25 mph. I wanted it to be more of a dailly driver that can do well off road but turned out to be more of just a off road toy. but it did do really well off road.

But when I did take it out for a little fun on the 1st of the year on some near by trails, only the second time taking it off road, I ended up bending one of the rear swing arms I had built the one the bearing and backing plate bolts to and I wasn't even pushing it that hard I just slid into some sort of deep ruts left by other trucks. So long story short I just dont have the time or will to build a new rear swing arm and try and reenforce them so it don't just bend again. And try and fix all the other weird problems with this custom suspension.

So new plan is Im getting a 97 OBS from a friend of mine and will be swaping over the engine trans, roof rack, bumper and winch and brakes on to, and doing a more traditional lift and just sticking with the strut system instead of trying to reinvent everything.

Not trying to dicourage anyone from trying something new but for now I dont have the time and just want something that I know works. So hope fully this project can be some good inspiration for someone.

and some pics of the damage

DSCF0524.jpg

DSCF0528.jpg

Yeah I was hoping it would work out too. At the least, I guess you learned what NOT to do. Although it may have been an expensive/time consuming lesson, now you know.

I'm not sure what your plans are for the wagon, but I am VERY interested in that rear bumper if you would like to sell it

Edited by ystrdyisgone

Yeah I was hoping it would work out too. At the least, I guess you learned what NOT to do. Although it may have been an expensive/time consuming lesson, now you know.

I'm not sure what your plans are for the wagon, but I am VERY interested in that rear bumper if you would like to sell it

The rear bumper will be up for sale and maybe the front too if it dosen't fit well on the the OBS

im very interested in the shell with the front suspension ive been wanted to find one to soilid axle in the back and do somthing similar in the front

That will be up for sale too but I'm not selling the modded front knuckles or upper A arms I haven't tested the knuckles enough to feel ok about selling them to someone else and the hiems in the upper arms will be used for something else. but I will include the lowers you can use them with the stock lower ball joints.

I think the combo of this build and SubaFreaks build would be an interesting combo.  I like the idea of more suspension travel, thats always been a dream of mine,  

I've met up with a fabrication guru up here and showed him my lifted outback and he's inspired to build something almost as a buggy but using Subaru Power/drive train.  Once we figure it out on a buggy, we were thinking about trying it on a actual Subaru body.   Testings gonna be the biggest part, good thing I'm the guy that gets to break stuff :P

Dang! I was really hoping to see this work out great. Well at least you tried. It looks bad**s! Mine is still in a very slow parts collection phase. It was very cool to see this build and get some ideas (even if they're what not to do) :unsure:   Hope to see something good come out of all the hard work.

For the rear trailing arms, something more like one of these would be much better. Just a thought.

http://www.pacificcustoms.com/AC530025.html

http://www.pacificcustoms.com/AC598991.html

And I bet with some tuning and tweaking it would drive good on the highway. :)

Jesse

Edited by jbbvw

Dang! I was really hoping to see this work out great. Well at least you tried. It looks bad**s! Mine is still in a very slow parts collection phase. It was very cool to see this build and get some ideas (even if they're what not to do) :unsure:   Hope to see something good come out of all the hard work.

For the rear trailing arms, something more like one of these would be much better. Just a thought.

http://www.pacificcustoms.com/AC530025.html

http://www.pacificcustoms.com/AC598991.html

And I bet with some tuning and tweaking it would drive good on the highway. :)

Jess

We could probably make some mounting surface plates out of the stuff you have lying around. Then tube up some spoob yo.....Some 2" .188 wall would be sick as fawck.........

Just sayin..... :)

cheers