Ultimate Subaru Message Board

whats redline rpms?

thanks caleb..

i just wanted to know.. i can run my new motor to my dashs redline and not be at the redline that the motor can run at.. hehe extra safety measure..

i may have only had 11hp with the original motor but i don't have a fuel cutoff, bwahaha.. :burnout:

besides now i have more than 115 due to mods haha and still no fuel cutoff.. :grin:

when I bought my 88 sedan it was 2wd auto and redline was at 6,000 rpm.

Once I swapped trannys I also swapped the gauges from a wagon into the sedan and it had a redline of 6,500 rpm.

My 87 RX has a redline of 6,500. Maybe the difference is between the auto and the stick tranny.

I don't know about the pre 86 as I have yet to own one

Originally posted by drewcifer85710

My 86 owner's manual calls it 6k for the manual and 6.5k for the automatic, that's on my EA82T. IIRC there are maybe other figures for carbed/SPFI engines.

Well that makes sense.. I have a dash from an Automatic in mine

Originally posted by calebz

Well that makes sense.. I have a dash from an Automatic in mine

Mmkay, so I bothered to look this one up in the '86 Owner's manual. It gives permissible engine speed:

For a GL models with AT, and any n/a GL-10: 6500

Everything else: 6000

Weird the GL AT models and GL-10 would be separate while a carbed DL and my Turbo MPFI GL-10 fall into the same category. Were those AT GL models and n/a GL-10s the cars that got SPFI in '86? Is that the determining factor?