Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1984 GL Wagon Fwd Build

1982gl4

Yeah, there was no way I could get the stock ones to fit, I used some metal left over from the body, and brake line to stiffen it up. They seem to work great.

Running again! Sounds great too, and has awesome oil pressure. I've only ran into a couple issues so far, I forgot to tighten a valve cover down creating a leak, and I have some stumbling at idle, but I think that is due to mixture. I'm driving it to work tonight to fix the y-pipe, as I had to cut it to even get it somewhat attached to the car. It is going to be a very loud drive in.

Edited by 1982gl4

Went to the shop tonight and had my dad whip on a new y pipe. Nice and quite now. While I was there I tried tracking down my charging issues. I replaced all but one of the cables to the battery, as they were all toast, along with the aluminum one to the starter (what a dumb thing to have in the first place) The charging is still messed up. I have to rev it up to get it to start charging, and once it does my voltmeter still doesn't work even though the alternator is putting out 13.6 volts at idle.... Fuel gauge also doesn't work I want to fix both those issues before I take it to P.A. this thursday.

At idle I don't consider it bad. It is not the alternator I've swapped a few around while I have had the engine out, heads off etc. Something is wrong with the car. Tomorrow I plan on digging into it to it. See if I can figure out my issues.

Does anyone know if the alternator is supposed to get power from both of the terminals in the plug? I only have power at one of those, IIRC it is the larger black/white one. I've been looking at my wiring schematics, but I have yet to find anything in those.

Fixed the fuel gauge and the charging issue. A plug was undone out of the back of the instrument cluster. I love easy fixes. The voltmeter is still off, but I think that is a problem with the gauge itself, and I'm not concerned about it now that I no longer have rev it way up to begin charging. It also charges around 14 volts at idle now :drunk:

Took the wagon to work today and swapped the front bumpers. I drilled holes in the shocks for the bumpers and set it closer to the body. I think it looks much better now. I also took of the bumper extensions it had on it.

1-68.jpg

I prefer that bumper, keeps it more factory, with JDM flare throughout! Plus the added bit of chrome really finishes it off.

Is that a 230/w132 next to it?

Yeah I like the looks of this bumper much better. I'm thinking about switching to the rear as well and fitting it to the body a bit better. And that is my dad's 1984 300CD w123, has over 330k on it now. It's a pretty nice drive, he recently did a vegetable oil conversion, it's pretty nice to carpool to work for free (we work at the same place) We also have a 300sd we drove this winter to keep the salt off from our other stuff.

1-106.jpg

Typo on the w132 btw ;)

Anyway, yeah that looks really nice! Diesel too, wow. Can't really beat the old Mercedes.

Personal favorite is the w123 Sedans, and the 450SEL 6.9! Ture Paowa!

The w123 sedans are awesome. I fit in those a bit better then the coupe.

I got my stock rear bumper out, tomorrow I'm switching that back doing the same mods as the front one, drilling holes in the shocks, and moving it closer to the body. I'm also deleting the bumper extension on that one. They make it look like a grandmas car.

I just arrived in Carlisle P.A. Car made it down here no problem. I got a little above 37 mpg on the way down and it turned over 180,000. I can't wait for the show. I also got my rear bumper mounted up. Here is a pic of it before I washed it.

1-107.jpg

More to come from the show in the next few days :popcorn:

Thanks Rugby.

This is a pic from the campground shorty after we arrived.

15-2.jpg

The Subaru section. I was a little disappointed in the turn out for Subarus this year, usually there are some older ones, this year it was Mine, and one other GL, all the others were much newer the next oldest I believe was a 1996 SVX.

4-37.jpg

3-48.jpg

1-109.jpg

There was a lot of other cool stuff as well. I saw a Nissan Patrol for the first time ever.

17-1.jpg

I also saw this 84 saab aero, thought to be one of 6 produced.

13-2.jpg

Kit cars don't usually get my attention, but this year I found myself liking the 356 replicas. I'd love to get one someday...

12-4.jpg

The swap meet section was pretty good this year. I snagged some much needed beetle parts, and I also found a 740 front lip I may try to fit to this car in the near future.

Yeah it's pretty awesome. Everything from MG's to Yugo's. The trip back was pretty uneventful. My speedo cable broke so the car as 500 miles less on it than it should, I have already swapped that out with a new one I had for my brat. I also got some new decklid shocks, I can not wait to get those in, I had it falling on my head :horse:

I drove this from my house to the mass boarder to pick up a rear wrx wagon seat for my legacy. I then drove within 30 miles of the Canadian boarder to see my grandparents. This ran flawless the whole trip, I only had an issue with one of the rear decklid shocks falling off :mad: I just bought those too, cheep aftermarket junk. I'm going to chuck the clips they came with and nut and bolt them on.

just bought those too, cheep aftermarket junk. I'm going to chuck the clips they came with and nut and bolt them on.

I detest aftermarket shocks for the rear gate. I bought mine and they mounted fine, but they only have 90% of the force needed to hold the gate up! So they only work on the hottest days. Well, until I pulled the rear panel off, the 4 lb difference means it stays up most of the time now...

I got some new ball joints for this last week. One of them has started to squeak when it gets hot. No play, but I thought it would be nicer to change them out before I take it on yet another long trip next weekend! :rolleyes: