Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

1984 GL Wagon Fwd Build

• Please log in to reply
442 replies to this topic

#26 1982gl4

1982gl4

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • Worcester, VT

Posted 09 October 2011 - 07:59 PM

Thanks! I can't wait to see finished pics as well, That means that I will have completed it haha. I have this week off so I will be working on this my legacy and my Brat for the majority of it!

#27 bigjimd

bigjimd

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • Petersburg, Va.

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:37 AM

Sweet Bumpers! We used to use a hole saw in a drill to get the notches. Hole saw same diameter as the OD of the tubing. Just leave the piece you want a couple of inches long. With a little practice you will get the angles just right.

#28 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Gold Subscribers
  • 5,542 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:52 AM

Amazing Work! ... Your Subie is going to be Awesome!

#29 1982gl4

1982gl4

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • Worcester, VT

Posted 14 October 2011 - 04:28 PM

I should have used a hole saw... I'll know next time! And thanks for the compliments Loyale 2.7 Turbo!

Got two wheels today I'm looking for two more if anyone has them pm me I'm more than interested.
Posted Image

Other progress has been slow the body work always takes the most time.
basicly I took the doors off and started fixing the rusted one, and prepping the rest. They all had rock guard on the bottom, which I guess is okay, I'm not a fan of the look, but it needed to come off for paint, so after some sanding those are all good. I've moved onto bondo now....

The rustiest door.
Posted Image

A bad pic but it's cut out and new metal welded in. The rest of the doors have some rust, but I sand blasted it, and I'm going to por15 over it. It's not bad enough I feel I have to cut the bottom of them off like this one
Posted Image

Bedlined the front bumper came out nice. The rear will be done soon, I just have to drill some holes in it to mount a trim piece I found that will match up to the tailgate nicely.
Posted Image

And I also sandblasted some of the rust spots around the rear windows, this created an issue because the metal was too thin. I then had to weld it all back together. Here are the pics after the holes were fixed.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#30 1982gl4

1982gl4

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • Worcester, VT

Posted 15 October 2011 - 01:13 PM

I always think that the metal work takes the longest, and then I get into bondo, and prepping for paint.... A lot of time to be spent here. Luckily this car is pretty strait, only a few dents here and there to fill, smoothing up the rockers where they connect to the car, other than that it's just disassembly, and sanding. after that it gets covered in primer, that could be as soon as the weekend after next. after that a light sanding, and the real deal paint.

Pics so far

Mounted the trim on the bumper today looks nice. I took it back off to paint it
Posted Image

The door that needs the most work.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#31 bratman18

bratman18

ADIDASubarus

• Members
  • 3,435 posts
  • Jefferson, Maine

Posted 15 October 2011 - 04:46 PM

Keep up the awesome work!!

#32 1982gl4

1982gl4

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • Worcester, VT

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:48 PM

Recaro test fit!!!! They give more head and leg room, and there's a bit more rear leg room as well. They are a little beat up, the bottom sections need recovering, and the bolsters on the passenger's seat are worn, but I think I'm going to have them recovered. It doesn't look like they will be all that hard to make mounts for, the two front ones line up already! Also a pic of my newest set of wheels, which appear to be painted the original cosmic blue of this car.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#33 steven304

steven304

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Martinsville

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:23 PM

I'm liking this car. May have to post a build on my fwd wagon.

#34 1982gl4

1982gl4

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • Worcester, VT

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:40 PM

Thanks i have too many right now I need to get this one done! Is yours on stanceworks? I just looked up a thread on here of yours, and it looks like the one on that site. There's a lifted tercel in that thread if I recall as well.

#35 zukiru

zukiru

EJ22T

• Members
  • 1,229 posts
  • Oak Grove, AL

Posted 12 November 2011 - 02:28 PM

Trying to picture fender mirrors on the 86 xt....
I love them but I am but sure it would suit the retro-futuristic xt.
This Wagon will be awesome, and I'm not really a wagon lover!

#36 1982gl4

1982gl4

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • Worcester, VT

Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:46 PM

Thanks I hope it will look good when it is all done, I'm hoping to get the paint done over my thanksgiving break from school, I'm still undecided on a color... There's not really much left to do, bondo, sanding, and disassembling the doors the rest of the way and that's about it.

It's hard to picture wing mirrors on a xt, but I think they could have them if it was done right, and look good too!

#37 1982gl4

1982gl4

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • Worcester, VT

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:13 PM

Spent about 4 hours sanding and working one the rocker panels today. a little more bondo and we will be good to go. I'm afraid I may have to sand the hood down to bare metal, other wise the paint is going to come out uneven because the clear is all pealing along with the roof. I also have been working on rear mounts for the recaros, but the bandsaw switch broke off so I gave up on that. I also found out my door sill covers are going to work with the new seats. I was a little worried that the trays attached to them were going to get in the way of the seats. And I put the doors back on so the body work will be a bit easier.

Sill trim in place
Posted Image

Doors back on
Posted Image

And it with my brat which I hope to work on this weekend. I need to get it running :brow:
Posted Image

#38 1982gl4

1982gl4

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • Worcester, VT

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:11 PM

Spent all day sanding the hood down, but it's done now. I primed it to keep it from rusting, but it will get another layer of primer when the rest of the car gets primed. Then paint. It's getting there ;)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#39 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Gold Subscribers
  • 5,542 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:29 PM

It Looks So Good!

The Finish Colour will be Black or the same Blue as the Rest of the Car?

#40 1982gl4

1982gl4

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • Worcester, VT

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:29 PM

I'm not 100% sure on the color yet. I was thinking of painting the whole car white, silver, or maybe the original color. That's the one thing I haven't decided with it yet the color....

#41 1982gl4

1982gl4

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • Worcester, VT

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:37 PM

Looks like it is going to be white :) I think I'll go with a factory Subaru color, the same as my 92 legacy (pure white) I ordered a new sander today so I can finish sanding it. My other one started spitting out oil (bearings were shot after 6 cars :-p ) So I decided that was not good for painting purposes. I also have more sand paper on the way. I need to sand down the roof to bare metal this weekend as the paints doing the same thing as the hood. I have three weeks off after next week. I hoping to get this painted and back together in that time. After that's all done, it goes lower

#42 1982gl4

1982gl4

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • Worcester, VT

Posted 09 December 2011 - 05:50 PM

Spent a long time on this today. Got the roof sanding down completely. I have never seen so much paint dust in my life. I also primed it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#43 bigjimd

bigjimd

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • Petersburg, Va.

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:02 PM

Pretty work! Looking good. I really like how you integrated the new bumpers with the origional bumper ends.

#44 1982gl4

1982gl4

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • Worcester, VT

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:21 PM

Thank you! I'm really pleased with they way my bumpers came out! I'll be getting paint for it later this week. I'm excited to get it back together.

#45 1982gl4

1982gl4

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • Worcester, VT

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:15 PM

Spent the other day cleaning the garage, I still have a bunch left to do . Sanded the car a little. But found a great product to fix my cracked dash! It's the same stuff used on WRC dashes. Here's a thread I found on how to install it.
http://zilvia.net/f/...suede-look.html

I'm not sure how bondo will hold up to a dash. I may try to find something else to seal up the cracks like foam or something.

And here's the site for the Flocking.

http://www.donjer.com/

I also ordered a new windshield, and window seal for it today.

Spent the last few hours taking the windshield and Dash out today. I'm glad I did. It's a mess behind the dash and needs to be cleaned badly. I also found some more rust around the windshield that needs to be fixed. Anyway here are some pics of the process.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is the 7th snake skin I have found in this car so far :spin:
Posted Image

Dash out
Posted Image

Posted Image

Tonight I will be ordering the flocking. I can't wait to fix this. The dash drove me crazy in this with that huge crack.

#46 Virrdog

Virrdog

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 590 posts
  • NE Ohio

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:49 PM

Wow, this is amazing. I wish I could do all this with my wagon!

Awesome job!

#47 1982gl4

1982gl4

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • Worcester, VT

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:03 PM

Thank you, it has been rather time consuming :rolleyes: Tonight the flocking has been ordered. I'm interested to see what I can do with a cracked dash. Anything will be an improvement over what's there now. I'm also did some body work today. I plan on doing a lot tomorrow. I hope to have this painted in the next few weeks :headbang:

#48 zukiru

zukiru

EJ22T

• Members
  • 1,229 posts
  • Oak Grove, AL

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:47 AM

very interested in how the dash comes out.
I have a rough one too.

#49 1982gl4

1982gl4

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • Worcester, VT

Posted 20 December 2011 - 05:46 PM

Worked on this a lot today. Mostly fixing a rear quarter I messed up while doing the metal work.

I accidentally made it like this...
Posted Image

and it was driving my crazy so I cut it and welded a new lip on it and made it look like this.
Posted Image

I then removed the front valence and started removing the huge dent, and some rust.
Posted Image

Headliner was taken out. I'm going to recover that because it's really dirty, and the color has faded quite a bit. I think I may redo it in plaid, depends what I can find for fabric I guess.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#50 bheinen74

bheinen74

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • central Iowa

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:03 PM

Good thread and information, pics.

Snake skins, eewww..