Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

1984 GL Wagon Fwd Build

• Please log in to reply
442 replies to this topic

#101 The Dude Abides

The Dude Abides

WileE Coyote Super Genius

• Members
  • 2,943 posts
  • West Des Moines, IA

Posted 04 February 2012 - 02:16 PM

Wow i cant beleive i havent found this thread yet. I would say paint it white. It meshes well with blue goes on easy and you coudl ad some blue accents or pinstripes to the side. Would look nice, though if you went with white i would change the color of your wheels. That would be to much white.

#102 1982gl4

1982gl4

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,353 posts
  • Worcester, VT

Posted 04 February 2012 - 02:22 PM

Wow i cant beleive i havent found this thread yet. I would say paint it white. It meshes well with blue goes on easy and you coudl ad some blue accents or pinstripes to the side. Would look nice, though if you went with white i would change the color of your wheels. That would be to much white.

I got white paint. I can't wait until it's sprayed later today :banana: I have aftermarket 13 spoke wheels for it that are going to be painted a charcoal or gold, I agree with it being too much white. Right now I'm leaning toward gold for the wheels, as I think it would look very nice with the white.

#103 The Dude Abides

The Dude Abides

WileE Coyote Super Genius

• Members
  • 2,943 posts
  • West Des Moines, IA

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:08 PM

Im not a big fan of gold wheels but to each there own. Me personally i would go with blue on the wagon wheels and get a set of chrome lugnuts to go with the chrome centercap. Small blue pinstripe on the side to match. Blue with those raised white letter tires:brow: niceeee

But youve done a fantastic job so no matter what you do it will turn out great.

#104 1982gl4

1982gl4

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,353 posts
  • Worcester, VT

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:21 PM

It's painted!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Came out pretty well, there's some runs, and a bit of dust, but there's not much you can do about it when you are painting it in your dirty garage.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

One of the few runs
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#105 1982gl4

1982gl4

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,353 posts
  • Worcester, VT

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:30 PM

Put a bunch of the trim back on today. Put the front windows back in. The door seals are back on, one of the window seals have been put back in. I have been painting all the trim black as it goes back on. I like the look of black over chrome, plus with the white it makes the black really stand out.

First thing to go back on, wing mirrors

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Blacked out trim
Posted Image

Put the older style tails on, and my custom bumper.
Posted Image

#106 Idasho

Idasho

Lost in the woods....

• Members
  • 952 posts
  • North ID

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:59 PM

sweet.

Looking good :clap:

#107 1982gl4

1982gl4

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,353 posts
  • Worcester, VT

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:58 PM

Thanks! I'm hoping to get the glass in it later this week while I'm at school. I then have a week off so I'm hoping to get the interior back together, and get some quotes on my front and rear seats. Should be awesome when it is all back together. Great mpg's for this summer too :clap:

#108 1982gl4

1982gl4

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,353 posts
  • Worcester, VT

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:14 PM

Went home from school today and did some work on this. I got the front grill on along with the front two interior panels (I also replaced the plastic sound deadening that goes on before the panels) Replaced the headlights with four new sealed beams, put some of the roof rack back on, and I finished installing all of the door seals.

Pics!

Posted Image

Posted Image

The blue looks awesome with the white.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#109 newsoobdude

newsoobdude

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 642 posts
  • helL A/ NorCal Foothills

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:07 PM

DAAAAAAANNG!!!!! That looks GOOOD man:headbang::headbang:. Cannot wait to see pics of it done.

#110 Lukas

Lukas

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Austria

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:51 AM

Would be a bit nicer with chrome-bumpers, but I like it a lot this way too!

#111 1982gl4

1982gl4

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,353 posts
  • Worcester, VT

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:50 AM

Thanks guys! It's slowly getting there. I may go back to the stock front bumper, but I want to move it in, more toward the car. And I'm not feeling the chrome on this project, It would be painted black If I decide to go that way.

#112 1982gl4

1982gl4

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,353 posts
  • Worcester, VT

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:23 PM

Installed the rear door cards tonight. I have this week off, so I'm hoping to get it back together. I also installed the wiper linkage.

#113 subynut

subynut

EJ Powa!

• Gold Subscribers
  • 1,377 posts
  • Sierra Vista, AZ

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:21 AM

That's looking really good! :clap:

#114 6 Star

6 Star

Boxer Nostalgic

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • South Seattle, WA

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:14 PM

Wish I had your ambition. :D
My Brat would be looking just as sick as this wagon is going to. :clap:

#115 1982gl4

1982gl4

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,353 posts
  • Worcester, VT

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:33 PM

Thanks guys! I need to wrap this one up soon so I can get back on my Brat, have a cool pair of ea81's for this summer :cool: Glass didn't get ordered because of a miscommunication. The windshield should be here by Tuesday.

#116 1982gl4

1982gl4

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,353 posts
  • Worcester, VT

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:33 PM

Today I put my headliner in (after redoing the glue, the first round didn't stick :-\ ) I never realized how much of a pain it is to get these things in by yourself. I had to hold it with my head while putting on the trim around the outside. Once one side was screwed in place, I had to move to the other side, and hope it didn't fall out of the trim on the first side... Anyway it looks great and I'm glad I refinished it as it was pretty beat up. I have to get a few clips and it will be all good.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#117 Virrdog

Virrdog

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 590 posts
  • NE Ohio

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:11 AM

Ok, I have to admit that that roof liner looks awesome! :slobber:

#118 1982gl4

1982gl4

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,353 posts
  • Worcester, VT

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:54 AM

Thanks I'm very pleased with it!

#119 subynut

subynut

EJ Powa!

• Gold Subscribers
  • 1,377 posts
  • Sierra Vista, AZ

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:47 AM

Looks good!
I want to replace the headliner in the PandaWagon, how difficult was it to pull the plastic pieces without breaking them?

#120 1982gl4

1982gl4

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,353 posts
  • Worcester, VT

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:10 AM

Looks good!
I want to replace the headliner in the PandaWagon, how difficult was it to pull the plastic pieces without breaking them?

Very easy. Most just unscrew (on the ea81 anyway I've never done an ea82). I only broke one thing, and I can easily epoxy it (just a cover for one of the overhead handles). There were few push clips I broke while taking the liner out, but I have extras so they don't matter too much. Also being a wagon makes it easier. You can pull it out of the rear hatch. I helped a friend do an old saab 900 sedan and we had to take the seats out to get it out of the door :horse:

#121 subynut

subynut

EJ Powa!

• Gold Subscribers
  • 1,377 posts
  • Sierra Vista, AZ

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:04 AM

Ok thanks.

#122 1982gl4

1982gl4

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,353 posts
  • Worcester, VT

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:42 AM

Messing around with an idea for the rear hatch

Posted Image

My carpet is toast, and I really like this. Bamboo laminate flooring. I unfortunately don't have enough to do it all right now, but enough to know that this is going to happen. I'll be ordering another box later

My inspiration
A Peugeot 504
Posted Image

#123 1982gl4

1982gl4

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,353 posts
  • Worcester, VT

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:58 PM

Mounted my seats today. Just made some simple mounting brackets out of some thick steel strips I had around.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#124 jboymechanic

jboymechanic

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 419 posts
  • Waterford, WI

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:50 PM

This is an impressive build, glad I finally stumbled upon it. Keep up the great work, good to know somebody is saving these cars.

#125 1982gl4

1982gl4

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,353 posts
  • Worcester, VT

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:31 AM

Thanks! seems like not enough of these get saved. Especially out my way, I can't remember the last time I saw an ea81 on the road.

Today I'm washing/dyeing the carpets. I tried washing them in the bathtub, but that was no good. I kept filling and draining it getting the same amount of dirt every time.... So in the washing machine they went. I put them on a very low spin cycle. So hopefully most of the dirt will get rinsed out and they wont loose shape. Dyeing them will happen later tonight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users