Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1984 GL Wagon Fwd Build

1982gl4

Hmm, I wonder if these would pop into place on Steal pugs? If so, I want a set in Black for my EA82!! Where did you see these? Ebay?

Ebay it was! This is the size I need, but there are other sizes as well. I'm not sure if they fit pugs, if they did i'd look into getting another set for the 15's I have :cool: We have them in my dad's Porsche 914 (suby swapped of course) on his five spokes. They look great, and fit very tightly so they stay in place even with the way that thing get's driven. :burnout:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-3-4-APPLIANCE-HONEYCOMB-WESTERN-WHEEL-MUSTANG-SALEEN-CENTER-CAPS-70mm-/270912860049?hash=item3f13aa2f91&item=270912860049&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr#ht_500wt_1163

I went and grabbed some lug nuts off from a parts SVX I have kicking around thinking that they would fit do to the size, and having the washer type nut. Well it turns out that I need another type of nut they were too big, and didn't even fit in the wheel. I'm going to take one of them into town tomorrow, and see if I can get something for them, and hope to get them mounted up and balanced at work tomorrow.

Thanks guys! haha Tom's ski wagon isn't much worse than this one was really. A little more rot but not much... It's far better than my red ea81 wagon was. Very fixable!

lookin' good, sport. ;)

Thanks Pooparu, I need to PM you, my tax returns are coming in :D

Thanks everyone!

I got the coopers as a christmas present when I was 15 for my brat, shortly after they were discontinued. I've had them for quite some time, I'd say they are on their last summer or two now. I really wish I could find another set because they look so nice on my ea81's :(:(

I figured they were no longer available but I had to ask. My first subie, a red `92 dual range swapped loyale sedan had some 195-75/r13 rwl tires with white wagon wheels. I've always loved that look on those cars. I'm doing a lot of searching for a set for my current ea81. If I can come up with anything I'll make sure to let everyone know.

If I can come up with anything I'll make sure to let everyone know.

Please do! I'd love to find a new set to replace these! Otherwise I don't know what I'm going to do next on this one. I have some 15" steel peugeot wheels I was thinking of running, but I really like the new wheels...

Maxxis Bighorns have raised white lettering *Cough* :brow:

Haha, that's the idea for my other one after a new shell :cool: I'd like to do a small lift and decent tires. This one can stay on 13's I have no intention of making this a 4x4. I'd have to find a gas tank (one of the things wrong with my other ea81) and that's pretty much impossible up here I already have all the other stuff... Plus with the fuel prices going up I couldn't be happier that it's fwd should make a great commuter for work this summer A/C and all :brow:

I've ran into some electrical issues in the last couple of days with this. My disty bearing is on it's way out (jumping tach) the wipers are only working on one speed, and the door chime stays on whenever the key is in the ignition (not running) and the door ajar lights don't work with the key off. It will give me some stuff to chase down if nothing else :o

As for updates I put the side trim on today. I blacked out the chrome strip on it, they were all beat up, and I couldn't break my theme with the car so far :D

2-56.jpg

1-97.jpg

Edited by 1982gl4

I've ran into some electrical issues in the last couple of days with this... the door chime stays on whenever the key is in the ignition (not running) and the door ajar lights don't work with the key off. It will give me some stuff to chase down if nothing else :o

I had the door chime deal happen to me, can't remember exactly what it was, but I remember needing to replace my alternator and battery on my Brat. Oh, and there was a wire grounding out for the tail lights one time, weird stuff would light up when I hit the brake pedal.

First thing I would check is grounds. Make sure all your major stuff is grounded, and if you are not sure... add more grounds. Run them all to the same point.

I had the door chime deal happen to me, can't remember exactly what it was, but I remember needing to replace my alternator and battery on my Brat. Oh, and there was a wire grounding out for the tail lights one time, weird stuff would light up when I hit the brake pedal.

First thing I would check is grounds. Make sure all your major stuff is grounded, and if you are not sure... add more grounds. Run them all to the same point.

I will do that. I got the door chime to work correctly today. Turns out the rear hatch wasn't latching causing the chime to stay on. Looked at the wipers today and decided to do other things :grin:

Today I tacked my rear hatch interior panel. It had speaker holes cut in it (more than once)

I started with a piece of plastic I had around.

1-54.jpg

Then I cut it to fit the center sections.

2-39.jpg

I ground out around where the screws go.

3-33.jpg

And then wrapped them with some leftover headliner fabric.

4-23.jpg

Kind of a bad pick but you get the idea

5-12.jpg

I also put the front bumper corners back on.

7-7.jpg

8-3.jpg

6-9.jpg

Hope you like pics :grin:

great idea on fixing those speaker holes!

This thing is really looking sharp but I have one negative thing to say. I don't like how the space behind your tube bumper looks. Maybe it's just the picture, but with all the white behind it, it looks like something is missing. Have you considered painting that part of the front black? Don't get me wrong, the bumper itself is very cool, I just dont know about behind it. It looks unfinished I guess. Just my $0.02

Otherwise, This thing is straight dope. We need some pics of it outside now. :brow:

great idea on fixing those speaker holes!

This thing is really looking sharp but I have one negative thing to say. I don't like how the space behind your tube bumper looks. Maybe it's just the picture, but with all the white behind it, it looks like something is missing. Have you considered painting that part of the front black? Don't get me wrong, the bumper itself is very cool, I just dont know about behind it. It looks unfinished I guess. Just my $0.02

Otherwise, This thing is straight dope. We need some pics of it outside now. :brow:

Thanks!

I agree with the bumper I've thought it didn't look quite right since the day I made it, I think I'm going to be making another one. I want to integrate fog lights into it and box in the sections between the tubing. This one doesn't follow the body to my liking as well. It's too far away from the headlights, and too close to the grill. And like you said the white showing behind it. It's going to say like this until I can drive it to work in a few months. Another thought I had was either to put a spare 4x4 bumper I have on it. Or modify my fwd one so it sticks closer to the body. I may move it outside for some pics tomorrow :)

Took this out for a little drive today. Started right up and ran great, had a little hesitation above idle, but it was also a little cold out. It has a surprising amount of pull. Anyway I got some pics of it outside! I went and got my FWD bumper out of the shed, but looking at it I really don't like it. I have some ideas for a new one. It will be sweet.

1-55.jpg

2-40.jpg

3-35.jpg

4-24.jpg

5-13.jpg

6-10.jpg

Up next fix the few wiring issues. I think I may order sway bars soon :banana: I need to address the exhaust. It's going to be lower (fwd xt struts??). I was thinking of having the windows tinted. vinyls are going to be added on the bottom of the doors. I need to finish up the interior (wood in the back and put the window cranks on). I'd like to get my seats recovered. Change all the fluids. Rear speakers need to be added. I may swap on a spare weber I have. Not sure about that yet. I need to get it on the road and see how the hitachi is doing first. I just don't want to get half way to a car show in Pennsylvania and have it die on me....