Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ej18 into ea brat, radiator hoses and fan?

tallwelder81

any advice what to do about a radiator hose? my ej18 is 1.5 inches, and the factory brat ea radiator is 1.25 inches. schuck/oreillys wants a BUNDLE for a hose with different size ends, like 30-35 each. i dont feel right spending 70 dollars on less than 24" of rubber hose.

and as im sure you all know, the stock radiator fan is too thick to fit back in the car between the belts/pulleys, and the actual car frame/unibody. where have you ej swappers found the best slimline fans for the job>?

any help is MUCHO appreciated!!! its bad enough i missed wcss13. i dont want to miss the last years of internal combustion engines while i get this ding dang brat back on its tires.

Napa sells reducer bushings so you can use the EJ rad hoses. They take up the annular space between the large hose and the smaller rad fitting. They cost a couple bucks each, I used them in my loyale with the original rad and an EJ22.

Try that maybe.

I used those NAPA reducers on my first swap. Every one since then, I just cut about 2 inches off the end of the 1.25 hose, and slip the 1.5 over the top of it. Done.

I've just used whatever generic radiator fan is on the shelf at whatever parts store I'm at.

These fans tend to come with zip-tie kinda things that pull through the core of the radiator. These transfer the vibration from the fan directly to the core of the radiator. That was the last coffin nail in my Loyale rad. Go to your favorite hardware/home improvement store, and buy about 4 feet worth of 1x1/4" aluminum. Cut it into 2 lengths to span across the radiator. Drill holes in the end to bolt it to the edges of the rad, and then holes in the middle to mount the fan to it (zip-ties work great here). This will save your radiator, and space the fan out, which makes it a bit more efficient.